Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

PTG Fluted bolt

Anyone used a PTG fluted bolt as a replacement for a factory bolt on a Remington 700? I did a little checking and only found that it would be a beneficial idea to replace the extractor on the PTG bolt with an M16 style extractor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The extractor replacement is not necessary.

Send the original off and have it fluted if that's what you want.

Casey, I just might do that. I'm not in any rush so i don't want to shortcut as i have the time to do this right.

Stiller uses ptg bolts in their predator actions.

The only reason two reasons I would change bolts to go to a smaller diameter round, or to tighten up the clearance between the action and the bolt. Probably not neccessary for a hunting rifle

You might have re-head space if you change the bolt. Just a thought.

• Like 1

The more i've read about people who have used them, the less inclined i am to do so. I've got everything (aside from the scope and it will be here Tuesday) that i need to start working up a load. I have a friend who has been long range shooting for quite some time and has all the tools, chrono, reloading equipment and so forth. With all of this I should be able to work up a suitable load and start dialing it in. I want to do this right and be able to shoot comfortably out to 1000 yards and have confidence as well as be comfortable with the rifle. It will take time, but i am oh so ready.

I had a 700 I took to my smith for some work. He out sources for the extractor, going from 7 mag to 7 RUM. We got it back and the bolt was exposed to what he thought was way more heat then needed. He ordered me a PTG bolt and had kampfeld do the fluting now life is good. PTG does fluting but they are very shallow and don't look as good as the deep flutes Karl does.