Sign in to follow this  
Str8Shot

10 decades of Elk

Many on this site like to complain about everyone and everything but their all knowing selves. Often the Game and fish department is ridiculed and disparaged on almost every move or decision they make. The reality is, No one is perfect and no one person knows it all, but if it were not for some motivated outdoors men and organizations including the game and fish. None of us would have the luxury today to sit on a computer and cry about when, if, and where we may be able to hunt in some of the best Elk Country in the world.

It is hard to believe that only 10 decades ago+ a few years( for those 20 - 30 yo guys that is only 3 - 5 times your age) there were no elk left in this state. After our native herds of Merriam's Elk had been hunted out by 1910.By the early 1920's the total National numbers of Elk were in the range of 90,000 head with almost 40,000 of the nations elk residing in Yellowstone National Park . In 1913 a group of citizens, private groups, the Elks, with the help of some politicians who gave support introduced the first 83 Rocky Mountain Elk to Arizona. When we talk Genetics we must know that numerous states used the same herds from Yellowstone through the early to mid 1900's to rebuild dwindling populations.

The state legislator and a single Game Warden was in control of our wildlife and New growing Elk population for the first 17 years. In 1929 after years of lobbying by citizens the Game and Fish Commission was created and entrusted with the future prosperity of our Wildlife for future generations utilizing science versus politics. So begun the AZ game and Fish Department as we know it today under a commission. By 1935 The first elk hunts began and ever since Game and Fish has worked with various groups and citizens to continue growing and maintaining a herd that is known to have some of the best Bulls in the world and the most sought after tags by Non resident Hunters. By the mid 80's ( 7 decades later) the number of Elk , the quality of Elk and the opportunity to hunt these Majestic animals has increased exponentially. This would not have been possible with out the Game and Fish, no matter how much you want to think it could have. I am thankful to the generations of individuals who seen the importance of such a task, the Game and Fish of old for laying a foundation and the new who continue to work hard to try and ensure future generations will have the same opportunities to enjoy our wildlife as we all have.

I am 40, and when you look at it 10 decades is not that long of a time to go from 83 animals to the stable herds we have today that have maintained pretty solid for last couple decades even with 8,000-9,000 head being harvested annually.

I feel, we owe it to those that helped ensure we get to even have the chance to draw a tag year after year to know the history.... I also feel that G&F deserves a little more support and acknowledgment for their part in keeping a healthy quality herd.

http://www.elks.org/lodges/LodgePages.cfm?LodgeNumber=536&ID=365

http://www.azgfd.gov/i_e/pubs/documents/ElkRestoration_000.pdf

http://www.azgfd.com/h_f/documents/2011%20Elk%20Management%20Plan%20December%203%202011.pdf

http://www.azgfd.com/h_f/game_elk.shtml

p.s. I have no affiliation with G&F nor do I agree with everything they do, but I will not sit back and belittle people, with more detailed knowledge than myself, for trying to do their jobs.

• Like 12

Your numbers on past and current elk population in Yellowstone and the nations numbers of the past are way off. Do more reading and less bitchin.

Here's the link to the story on how the elk came to Winslow and how the whole thing got started.

https://www.elks.org/lodges/LodgePages.cfm?LodgeNumber=536&ID=368

Thanks for adding the link .... I had both open and copied and pasted the wrong the one ....

p.s. Sour I did not put any current population numbers for yellowstone ... and please share the published articles you have that show the national lows in the early 1920's are different than what I read and paraphrased ....

What a wonderful and positive thread for a change! I'm like everyone else in the fact that I don't always agree with every single decision the AGFD makes. Having said that, I recognize and appreciate the many positive changes the department is responsible for over the last 20-30 years. They truly are making a great effort to communicate and work with all of us stakeholders. Unfortunately I cannot say that about our USFS that seems to have taken a reverse path.

• Like 2

I'm an Elk member… you're welcome :)

Just kidding. Actually I am an Elk but the thanking me was a joke. Great reading thanks for posting.

• Like 1