Hello All,

My names Nick. Im an Archery Hunter and just scored my first Arizona Archery Bull Tag for Unit 6A :D I truly cant believe it. I have shed hunted near Flag a few times a year for the past few years and have came out empty handed :( I love the Area near Flag, kinda reminds me of Northern MN so I picked 6A . Now im stuck, I've read a few forums and heard that some of the locations I have seen many Elk at are the ones that people warn about un-respectful hunters that flock like Canadians. If anyone is willing to share some tips,info,ect for a newbie Arizona Elk Hunter that would be very greatful. Im planning on Filming this Hunt to support Arizona Big Game Hunts,Coueswhitetail forums, FRED BEAR ARCHERY and GOPRO4's - making a DIY FILM.

Lots of elk in the unit, from one end to the other.but also lots of hunters so getting away from the crowds is kinda hard.750 tags or something.pm me and I can give you a few starting points to look around.good luck

• Like 2

Get a mile off the road anywhere in the unit and you will into elk. Fun hunt. If your having trouble finding elk closer to the hunt date, send me a PM.

• Like 2

Ditto as said above. I won't tell you where I hunt but I will tell u where most the other people and have had success. PM me with any ?'s

• Like 1

1st of all congrats on the tag. 800 tags in 6a combined with every hunter having 2 buddies helping him and your looking at 2400 guys in the field come opening day! As the hunt goes longer there will be less people. Avoid bugLlng as every tom, dick and hairy will be doing it. Be mobile and cover ground. chase bugles in the morning and sit water in the evenings. Elk can be found just about anywhere in the unit just get off the roads and you will be in action. Good luck!

• Like 3

Might be stating the obvious, but if you want to get away from the crowds you should maybe check-out either one of the Quiet Areas (Rattlesnake and Pine Grove). Plenty of hunters use these areas, but given there are no vehicles allowed, it can be a good way to get away from some of the crowds.

Good luck!

S.

:)

• Like 1

I drew this tag as well! I'm a NR from alabama. Just joined this forum. Seems to be a lot of great guys and good info here! This is also my first time in AZ. There seems to be lots of roads in northern part of unit and east side. The southern/west part looks like rougher terrain and less rds but maybe not as many elk as the pine country to the north? Are most roads passable with 4x4 truck? Thanks for any advice and good luck to everyone who drew!

• Like 1

Don't forget to get the road closure map from the forest service. A lot of the roads have been shut down, but do not have a sign on them. Without the map you cant tell if they are open or closed.

Good luck on your hunts!

• Like 3

I've had this hunt twice and killed one bull with opportunities on both hunts. Both times the first two days were good then quiet until the last three. A lot of people hunt the weekends and go home during the week. The second week, M-th seemed like I had the unit to myself. I usually hunt the south central area. Good luck.

• Like 2

Yelp, I was gonna order road map when I order the regular forest map. There seems to be lots of rds that show up on google earth but not on forest map. I've looked briefly at smaller version on net. I also have the hunting GPS maps from a New Mexico hunt so I will start studying the unit here soon in more detail.

• Like 1

Most of the roads you will be good to go with a 4x4 if not there seems to be a road right around the corner that will take you to where you want to go. Stoneman Lake rd especially the area around Apache Maid Mtn, Cedar flats area and Pine Gove Quiet Area seem to hold the mass of the hunters. Pine Grove seems to be a little better than the Rattlesnake during the archery hunt. Lots of weekend hunters, and lots of elk all over the unit. Mormon mtn area seems to have had much less pressure around it in the last few years than years ago. Many of the places that I always saw elk camps on, are now not used.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Mormon mt area? I see Mormon lake? The very southern part of the unit looks like it could be remote in places but I'm not sure if elk would be there as it looks to be a desert type place and dryer. Just starting my research. Sure I'll have some questions!

• Like 1

My uncle has this tag as well, I'll be guiding it. I won't tell you our honey holes (we will be in them) but will give you some great areas i don't hunt in if you want. I know 6a better than I know my backyard. Pm me with questions

• Like 2