varnco

Used Bow Recommendations?

I am considering giving bow hunting a chance after going to a local shop and taking a 1 hour course, and used a recurve and compound bow.

i really liked the compound bow, and shot it better (accuracy) than the recurve.

Since I don't know if I'm going to go the bow route, I am looking to buy a relatively inexpensive used compound bow, so I don't put too much into it, but can go practice often to see how it goes.

So, I'm open to all thoughts/recommendations on brands, or specific models, and probably one that doesn't need a bunch of maintenance.

Also, any "options" that would be ideal (fiber optic sight)

My wingspan is 69", so I believe i need about a 27 -28" draw...not sure if that matters for this discussion.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Bowtech Allegiance that launches a nearly 500 grain arrow at 280 fps.... not bad for a bow that old. They are affordable to... I think $200ish would get you one if you can find it.

go on archertalk and look under there classifieds....bought my last 2 bows there at a crazy price

• Like 1

I bought my daughter a brand new Diamond Infinity Edge by Bowtech for Christmas for $300. The only reason I would recommend this bow is it super adjustable. If you don't know your exact draw length this will adjust up to 30" draw length and up to I think a 70# draw weight. It comes with a starter sight and decent rest. I only had to buy her a release and arrows and she is up and shooting. I can adjust the bow to her as she grows. Get something that fits you or you will end up hating archery. I tried to go the used bow route and it didn't work out for me. Going to the pro shop and getting a bow properly set up for me made all the difference in the world but I always knew I wanted to bow hunt.

go on archertalk and look under there classifieds....bought my last 2 bows there at a crazy price

This! Make sure you know your draw length and go steal one off of AT. Take it down to a good shop and have them help you set it up it will be money well spent.

What's your price range?

$300-ish is what I was hoping on the top end, so if I end up not doing it, I can unload it and not lose too much $$.

This! Make sure you know your draw length and go steal one off of AT. Take it down to a good shop and have them help you set it up it will be money well spent.

Thanks.... I'll check them out, but have no idea "which" bows to look at. I know guns well... bows... not a clue.

Draw length = 69" wingspan divided by 2.5 = 27.6", right?

Do I need a 70# bow? I think a 50# -60# would suffice for deer?

I have a 2006 Bowtech Allegiance that launches a nearly 500 grain arrow at 280 fps.... not bad for a bow that old. They are affordable to... I think $200ish would get you one if you can find it.

This is what I'm needing.. .just some recommendations on brands/models that are good, and I'll hunt one down.. I'm in no hurry.

I would start with reading up some of the reviews like this one:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/07/bow-test-2014-ol-ranks-and-reviews-10-new-compounds

Obviously you are not going to buy one of these new but will get a general idea of what the top companies are pushing. If you go down a model or two you will still have most of the features. Mathews, PSE, and few of the others are probably going to cost a lot more but hold their value very well due to demand and reputation.

Then start prowling on AT and looking for a good deal. Remember it is probably worth it to spend $100-$150 more on a full set up because sites, stabs, quiver, and a new string if needed are going to cost $300-$500 and the guy before you has most likely already tuned the bow (ask what arrows they were shooting) you may get lucky and shoot darts without much tinkering.

Good deal here considering the upgraded string, rest, and stab would cost you ~$300 new.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2453179

This was just the first deal under $500 on AT that pops up, there should be a few dozen more you can look over.

You can get a PSE Brute X ready to shoot (just need arrows)on Ebay for $300. It has adjustable draw so you can tune it to your draw at home. If you find that archery isn't for you, you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Thanks all! Exactly what I was looking for, I'll keep an eye out for:

PSE Brute X

Mathews Switchback XT

PSE Omen Pro

2006 Bowtech Allegiance

Diamond Infinity Edge by Bowtech

Mathews

PSE

Bowtech

Hoyt

Those are like the most popular brands , all great bows just depends how much you want to spend becuase after you buy the bow eventually you will start to get the itch to buy all the upgraded parts...lol

I shoot a Bowtech Assasin its like a mid teir bow..