Sign in to follow this  
Savageman25

New member searching for some help.

But, I thought that you wanted to go "hunting". You are doing what is called escouting and asking for free stuff. Go out in the woods and hunt. It s more fun than someone telling everything. If you dont want to hunt then hire someone to hunt for you.

So ThomC, You popped out of the womb, picked up a gun and bow, pulled up your chitty diapers and went hunting. Amazing. You are my new hero.

• Like 2

Savage,

Pm me your number. I often predator call a half hour ne of you. I'll give you a call before heading out next time.

• Like 6

But, I thought that you wanted to go "hunting". You are doing what is called escouting and asking for free stuff. Go out in the woods and hunt. It s more fun than someone telling everything. If you dont want to hunt then hire someone to hunt for you.

I was expecting a reply like this sometime. It doesn't bother me at all because I know what I'm asking for. It's not free stuff and it's not to encroach into someone's hunting spots. Its simply guidance on how to hunt. Knowledge that I can use for the rest of my life no matter where I may live or go in life.

Sagaveman25--I know I have an elk and deer tag over here this year. If you want to tag along some I will be hunting Coues deer archery in NM unit 23 which is on the Az line in Sept.. Luna, Glenwood, and Reserve are the towns I will be closest to so if interested shoot me a PM and I will give you directions to my camp.

Thanks so much for your invite. If I can manage a trip like that to N.M. I will definitely look into it. For right now I am trying to learn locally, and maybe at a later time I could meet up with you sir.

It would be at least a five hour drive for you so I understand. The offer is open in the future if you can make it.

• Like 1

That's pretty country, Red, I used to have a ranch 15 miles ese of Datil

Lets get you in the draw for some big game. It is right around the corner.. Get familiar with the units in the state. You will put in based on where you want to hunt. You are in the heart of 20a, actually one of my favorite deer units. Like others have said, getting a bow will increase your time allowed in the woods hunting. Normally there are about 700 rifle tags in that unit, so drawing that tag isn't THAT hard. In the mean time, take a drive into the pines south of you, you'll get a good look at deer. javi's, turkey, and varmit.. Start practicing stalks to see how close you can get, this experience will be priceless. While stalking, keep the wind in your nose and look with your eyes 10x more than you move.. Move so slow that you feel like laughing at yourself. When you thinks you can't move any slower, slow it down even more. Use shade and trees/rocks to hide your movement. This will be a great passed time activity until someone can take you under their wing. I hunt quite a bit in that area so our paths may cross in which case, I'd be happy to help you out...

Be prepared, you are about to embark on a journey that will change you forever. I wish you the best of luck in the process.

• Like 2

That's pretty country, Red, I used to have a ranch 15 miles ese of Datil

I agree. One of the best drives for scenery was when I lived in Farmington and we went to Silver City. Went south to I-40, cut over into Az and came back into NM at Luna. 550 to I-25 south would have been faster but sometimes faster is not better.

• Like 1

Don't forget to check out all the amazing mentored camps offered by many different groups throughout the state. Most are geared toward teaching kids, but I think all of them would welcome an adult who wanted to learn how to hunt. So don't feel shy about contacting them and asking if you can attend. Another option is to just volunteer to help at those camps and then you can go with another hunter taking out a kid. You would learn so much and be helping someone else.

AGFD website has a listing of all the camps and I also have a listing in the right hand side of the main forum home page that shows upcoming events.

here is the agfd website link for that info...scroll through the calendar to find more camps. Or call Doug Burt (with AGFD and speak with him directly and he can hook you up with a camp.

Douglas Burt

Hunting and Shooting Sports Program Manager

Arizona Game and Fish Department

dburt@azgfd.gov

(623) 236-7487 Desk

(602) 531-7578 Cell/Text

http://azgfdportal.az.gov/hunting/mentoredcamps

• Like 3

Welcome to the site Savage. As always Amanda's advice is solid. In addition to the G&F site and getting in on the draw consider joining one of our Arizona "Critter Groups." Since your interested in Elk I suggest you check out the Arizona Elk Society here: https://www.arizonaelksociety.org/

Go on a few projects and you will meet some of the best people in Arizona who care about wildlife, conservation and hunting. You will probably also hook up with a mentor.

There are many other "Critter Groups" in Arizona, all of which are full of great people. I suggest you check them all out:

For predators: http://azpredatorcallers.com/

For Deer: http://www.azdeer.org/

For Lopers: http://azantelope.org/

And the grand daddy of all wildlife conservation groups in the country the Arizona Desert Big Horn Sheep Society: http://www.adbss.org/

If I have missed any others here can fill out this list.

Have fun!

You guys have been a huge help. Many people have showed interest in helping me and I am in there debt. I believe I have made some good connections to get off on the right foot. I appreciate you all very much. Hope to cross paths with many of you on my journey of hunting/learning to hunt.

You guys have been a huge help. Many people have showed interest in helping me and I am in there debt. I believe I have made some good connections to get off on the right foot. I appreciate you all very much. Hope to cross paths with many of you on my journey of hunting/learning to hunt.

Im a self taught guy and can tell you from experience that hooking up with one of the guys/gals that have offered will save you years of stumbling around trying to figure it out on your own. I got some real good advice from some folks on this site that has done well for me and met some great people from the cwt community. You're already heading in the right direction.