Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Second Scouting Trip

Well my dad and I went up to get another couple days of scouting in so we loaded up the truck and left the valley around 6:30 in the afternoon. Got up to Flagstaff and decided to get a little bite to eat (later find out not a good choice :D) . Got to where we wanted to camp and it started to snow. So I frantically get the tent setup while the wall of white comes down. Get the tent all setup and crawl into bed around 11.

Wake up Saturday morning at 6 and look outside and see this

P5040108.jpg

P5040111.jpg

So we get into the truck and go to check some areas that we were told to and saw some elk and antelope. Kept on going and check some tanks to make sure they were holding water. Got back to camp around 3 and decided to hike up on a nearby hill and glass a little bit. After attempting to glass for an hour decide to get back to camp because the snow flurrys and the 30 mph winds were driving me crazy. While hiking back to camp I decide and stop and glass the hills right behind camp and was able to find a herd of 9.

P5050118.jpg

P5050121.jpg

Got back to camp around 5:30 and was standing next to the fire when a friend pulled up and wanted to show me some spots. We go ahead and go to some of his spots and see some more elk and antelope. Got back to camp around 7:00 and hung out around the fire til 8:30 or so and hit the hay so we could get out again this morning to scout some more.

Wake up this morning around 6:30 and head out from camp around 7 and go to check out some more areas. We find some deer and some antelope but no elk on this venture. Got back to camp around 10 and want to check out one more area and check a couple more tanks. We pack up camp and go out and find some more elk, antelope and deer. These pictures arent that great because I was getting heat waves in 45 degree weather :huh: Must have been because I was taking the pictures over a big field.

P5050131.jpg

P5050139.jpg

Here are some more scenery pictures that I thought turned out pretty well.

P5050126.jpg

P5050123.jpg

Throughout the weekend I saw around 70 to 80 elk, 30 to 40 antelope and 20 to 30 deer. It was a good weekend spent learning the area and seeing lots of game.

In your pic, try that unburnt aspen grove 2/3 up Kendrick on that north side above Bull Basin

RR

I will have to head up there and look around in one of my future scouting trips. Thanks for the heads up Doug!

YH,

Nice pics - and may you find MANY of the below pic on your next scout/hunt !!!

AzP&Y

post-898-1178627833.jpg

You don't know how refreshing it was to read your scouting report this morning. :D Made me feel like I was there. Being laid up with rotator cup surgery really sucks this time of year and I'm enjoying every bit of this CWT site. My 3 days a week therapy sessions doesn't compare to the therapy I get from this site so I plan on sending Amanda a donation. Remember to write it down just not on here and start your log book/diary for the future and please keep them scouting/hunting pics and stories coming. Good luck on your hunt!