rthrbhntng

No More Motorized Retrieval Az Big Game

I hate having anymore restricitions reguarding hunting than is needed. I like the first proposal, leaving it the way it is. The other proposal involve taking out hundreds to thousands of miles of roads which is a lot. I wonder what roads they plan on taking out? If they would create a map for the public to see the road closures, it would be very helpful in determining more of an idea of what they're trying to accomplish here. The idea of having a permit to retrieve a downed animal sounds rediculous to me. The way I read it, you shoot the animal and then go get a tag to retrieve it, too restricted IMO.

Sounds like a way to appease anti hunters, and make money for the government.

Sportsmen need to fight this sort of plan tooth and nail. :angry:

I have the Tusayan maps on 11 X 17" format and can copy them if someone that knows the area wants to see them. I will try to scan them.

The thing you need to do right now is go to Williams and get a set of the Williams ranger district maps that include the forest in Units 7, 8, 10, 6B and go over them if you know the roads and comment on them. This district is working on the maps right now. If you know another forest and would like to get the maps to comment please call them and ask to get a set of maps.

Some closures look good and others don't look so good.

Steve

I've been hearing about this too.

I think that being able to camp where we want to is one of the greatest privileges that we have on our National Forests. I would be seriously PO'd if I had to camp in a designated campground with a bunch of greenhorn retiree coleman-campers, with babies crying, and teenagers drinking all night and making a ruckus... And the chances of leaving my gear unattended all day while I am gone? NO WAY! I shudder.

I think that the DOI, and USDA FS have to pony up and hire additional seasonal law enforcement if they really want to solve to problem of mis-use. You can say 'these roads are now closed', but if you don't have enough man power to get out there and stop the abuse nothing will change.

Let me know when this comes up for discussion in Tucson, I'll be there and I will drag everyone I can, kicking and screaming, there with me.

In case you were responding and emailing to this thread here are the emails of the decision maker and one of the Kiabab rangers that is taking comments.

Harv Forsgren, Regional Forester, Region 3

hforsgren@fs.fed.us

Chip Ernst, Kiabab Ranger District

cfernst@fs.fed.us

Thanks for taking the time.

Steve

When I shot my bull two years ago, it would have been impossible for me to carry all of it out on my back before the meat spoiled. Those early September hunts are still to hot to let the meat hang. Even having a quad to help, it still took me an hour to get it out. David

They claim the road closures benefit the wildlife and protecting the land for future generation. I agree to a point but once a road is closed they aren't going to open it later down the road for the next generation to enjoy. Not everyone is young and in shape to walk in to these areas. I would like to see more enforcement than closing an area that I can no longer get in to enjoy. I know areas that have been closed from the public because of fires. FS claims it needs to be protected from erosion but a few ranchers have keys and are still running cattle because they are receiving money for cattle lease. It's like the Game&Fish, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but they don't shoot from the hip. The one area I'm talking about has more damage from the cattle than I believe any human could have done. I usually don't discuss politics but this doesn't settle good with me.

I'm going to have to say that I agree with the proposal. It seems to me that there are WAY too many roads throughout the entire state. It's impossible to get "away" from the traffic anymore. Anything to make the wildnerness areas a little more wild is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion! I'm tired of trying to hike into "secluded" areas during hunting season to find that every obese Tom, Dick, and Harry has driven his quad right into my area on old logging roads. I'm for closing them all up.

I'm going to have to say that I agree with the proposal. It seems to me that there are WAY too many roads throughout the entire state. It's impossible to get "away" from the traffic anymore. Anything to make the wildnerness areas a little more wild is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion! I'm tired of trying to hike into "secluded" areas during hunting season to find that every obese Tom, Dick, and Harry has driven his quad right into my area on old logging roads. I'm for closing them all up.

I agree with removing a small portion of the roads but going from over 1000 miles to around 150 is a huge step and it is way to drastic. The roads left will be only the major roads that everybody tries to avoid. With only these roads left the camping will be very limited and there will be alot of populated camping areas. Also alot of people say they will put the boot leather into the hunt and most of the time will never leave site of the road! Also it is not impossible to get away from traffice anymore all one needs to do is scout out an area and find somewhere that has a pocket with no roads. Most people think it can't be done but trust me there are plenty of places that you can get away from the crowds you just need to put in your time. If there is fewer roads also you are gonna need to put in even more time hiking into secluded areas because you will need to get further away from the roads so you can be away from all the road hunters that will be left on the few roads.

This is not a shot at you I just feel that we need to take action and try to keep a good portion of the roads so we can still have our camping, hunting and if lucky enough off road travel to retrieve game if one is careful and not tearing up the land!

Closing roads will only effect those of us that obey the laws. The outlaws will still drive down every two track or even make their own, just like they do now.

Feds love to make new laws, but they never fund the enforcement of them. Just like whent hey passed the Brady Bill, then made the locals pay for it's implementation.

Coueser, we all have an opinion and thanks for sharing yours. Also, thanks for the wake-up call. I will do my best to loose some weight and tell all my obese Tom, Dick, and Harry friends to do the same. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is some information on upcoming meetings in Williams with links to the maps of the road closures around Williams.

Hello all,

The Williams District will host travel management "work sessions" on May 17

to help develop a better proposed action for Travel Management. The format

will be informal with the primary purpose of getting specific road

comments. We will have maps, flip charts, and comment sheets available. We

hosted similar sessions on March 1st, and we received many good (road

specific) comments during the meeting and positive comments about the

process.

There will be two sessions, one in the afternoon 2:00 to 4:00 and one in

the evening 6:00 to 8:00.

If you are unable to attend and would like to provide road specific

comments, you can download the planning maps from our website. The images

are small, but the resolution is good, so if viewed in Adobe acrobat, you

can zoom in to see the road numbers and landmarks.

The link is http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/kai/travelmanagement/documents.shtml

The maps are called "Williams Maps for Public Input, North and South"

I have attached a copy of the press release. Folks are asked to RSVP by May

16 so we can make sure we have proper staffing.

Hope to see you there!