Sign in to follow this  
Maverick351

tree stand help

I've got a chance at a ladder stand pretty cheap, never used one but am thinking about picking one up for 24a/23 this year. Will a ladder stand work? Iddon't want to buy an expensive climber as I'm not sure how often I'll use it or if I'll even keep it. Please let me know if this will work.

Ladder stands work just fine. Cons: Heavy for a pack in. Also can be hairy standing one up against a tree. Bring an extra ratchet strap to bind the stand to the tree. Make sure the feet of the ladder are on firm ground. Make sure and use the support from tree to ladder if provided. You can cut your own if necessary.

I'm trying to decide, a hang on looks easy enough. Not a really long pack in but look I for something stable and comfortable enough to hunt for a day and unfortunately I'll probably have to set up then take down every weekend.

If you need to setup and take down often, a ladder stand is not the best option IMO. I have a high quality climber but do not recommend them. A hang on is what you need. Get some climbing sticks too. Have not used tree stands for a long time.

You could lock your hang on with a cable lock, remove a few sections of climbing sticks (or tree steps). Stash the sticks away from the stand site when gone (GPS them, trust me on this one). A determined thief will still get your stand but at least he'll have to work at it.

Hey maverick. I have a used just once API hang on I will sell you for $50. I have the safety harness I will throw in.

post-12458-0-00128900-1432268034_thumb.jpg

post-12458-0-35169400-1432268052_thumb.jpg

post-12458-0-83102600-1432268068_thumb.jpg

Let me know now as it's going in a yard sale tomorrow and I will be outta town. If you want it I will put it aside until I get back.

Hey maverick. I have a used just once API hang on I will sell you for $50. I have the safety harness I will throw in.

SOLD to bonecollector pending funds.

Thanks murph but go ahead and put it on the yard sale. Anyone have any opinions on what would work best?

I would use a ladder stand and lock it to the tree. way more comfort and less sketchy when sitting it.

just make sure you don't put it on a bare tree like a pine tree. I like to put um up on a tree that will have branches to help conceal you.

if you don't the deer will look right at you. also make sure you get there early in case you have a first come first serve stand jumper.

James

Ladder stands are the way to go IMO. So quiet getting in and out of them.. But YES, can get heavy and setting them up can be a chore..

Just like a set of golf clubs, different stands are good in different scenarios/places. I dont have a ladder stand, but I have both a fixed position and climber. The climber is hands down my favorite unless I absolutely have to be in a tree that has low growing branches that prevent its use. The reasons for my preference are 1.) Comfort for all day sits, 2.) Safety rail surrounding you and 3.) Its much lighter than carrying a fixed stand + steps or ladder or whatever. Just my .02.

I can completely understand that, I just feel after doing more research that the ladder stand would be a bit more secure and stable and for the wife that's my main concern.