azpackhorse

Critters observed while shed hunt'n

Took this photo this morning up on Mt. Lemon on my way to look for sheds

P1000404.jpg

Then we came across this Mearns, didn't know there were Mearns up there.

P1000406.jpg

Then I came face to face with this guy waaay up high, it gave me plenty of warning though :o

P1000410.jpg

I pitched a couple of pebbles at it to get it to pose for the camera but I aint that brave when it comes to rattlers, it was a very neat snake. Is it a Black Rattler?

P1000412.jpg

people gota start putting warnings of snake pictures! :blink: They just creep me out! :unsure: The picture of the quail is awesome!

Great pic's! That is an AZ Black Rattler.....I think those are the scariest ones because you usually find them in areas that you wouldn't expect to see a rattler! Most of the ones I've found are usually not too aggressive though. JIM>

My uncle got bite last night by a snake; and he has not a clue as to what kind it was. I guess by the time he got a flash light that actually worked he couldn't find it. And to top it all off the stupid ARS didn't go to the hospital. I called bull$)(!^ this morning until I saw the holes in his ankle and he told me it felt like a mack truck hit him when it struck. All I know is I would have died on the spot from a heart attack right there or I would have been calling my wife to pick me up in Tucson (from Camp Verde) around midnight because I hadn't stopped running from it yet.

Buckhorn

My uncle got bite last night by a snake; and he has not a clue as to what kind it was. I guess by the time he got a flash light that actually worked he couldn't find it. And to top it all off the stupid ARS didn't go to the hospital. I called bull$)(!^ this morning until I saw the holes in his ankle and he told me it felt like a mack truck hit him when it struck. All I know is I would have died on the spot from a heart attack right there or I would have been calling my wife to pick me up in Tucson (from Camp Verde) around midnight because I hadn't stopped running from it yet.

Buckhorn

If it was a rattler it is best he gets to the hospital ASAP to have them look at it - here is link to photos of people who didn't go

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0214503/Fi...ke%20Bites.html

Buckhorn

You say there's "holes" in his ankle........two holes? If so, than it was a rattler.......all the other snakes I can think of up there don't have big front fangs like a rattler. He's probably lucky because it doesn't sound like a very potent bite.....otherwise he would be runnin' to the hospital! I know what he means about being hit by a Mack truck! My incident resulted in only one fang from the snake actually getting me and it was enough to almost kill me! Not all bites are serious, but I think all bites warrant a trip to the doctor!!! Good luck to your Uncle! JIM>

Nice pics Brian, but the Mearns is great!! Its always cool to see Mearns out in the hills.

And yeah, there are a few up in the Catalinas!! I found these up near the Reddington ranch area back in Dec of '03..

mearnpics.jpg