DrtRoadRody

Water in the backcountry

Just curious if all backcountry hunters here in AZ pack in water before their hunts. If not what's your preferred method of treating water. Filtering or chemicals? Do you trust filtering water from animal watering holes, if no flowing water can be found?

Filled up some water bottles in case of an emergency up in the Supes years ago. Must have got them mixed up with my boiled spring water. Woke up one morning couple weeks later with Giardia. But on the bright side, I lost about 30lbs of stubborn fat.

Anyone interested in having water packed in in advance of their excursion, pm me. I'll pack it in and cache it for you.

• Like 8

There are a few spots I go that I will pack water into pre hunt but most areas have springs. I use a filter ( katydine pro) springs and natural holes are where i prefer to get the water. Most true wilderness areas don't have dirt tanks in them but not all. You can still get good water from them but it they are muddy it clogs up the filter quicker.

Ya i started using the Katadyn Pro and so far no issue's. But haven't put it through it paces with really filthy water yet. I did put a rubber band a coffee filter around the intake hose and the seems to help stop and back up from clogging the first filter.

there are a few pre-filters out there MSR makes one that fits most brands and will make a big difference.... if you want another layer look at a DIY cheesecloth pre-filter as well... the more dirt you can remove before your high dollar unit the better it is...

I dont eat or drink half as much as I should when backpacking, so unless im out for a long time I carry enough to get me by. 1-1/2 gallon can last me 4-5 days. I've used chlorine tabs with no ill effects. They are supposed to be more effective than iodine on some of the tougher bugs like cryptosporidium. However your water can still be a bit.... well..... chunky depending on the source. I dont mind a little grit in my drink, but if your more prissy about some chunks in your water than an extra pound or two of pack weight, take the filter.

No way I could stretch 1-1/2 gallons 4-5 days , unless it was pure survival ... I am a gallon a day drinker and when logging miles in the warmer temps 2-3 liters a day is rationing .... A couple scouting trips with water cached and a filter allows flexability on how much water weight I choose to add when actually headd out for the main trip.

• Like 5

I consume most of mine on the way in and out. I dont move around much while hunting.

Ya I go through at least 5 liters a day. Couldn't imagine stretching a gallon and half for 4-5 days.

I carry 2 to 3 liters and a couple of ways to purify water including an in the bottle filter and backup iodine if the stuff looks really nasty. This is for a day hunt and when I have run out I have filtered water for myself and others and was glad I could. In a truck camp we always bring more water than needed, but can boil/filter if necessary. Cooler water is fine for showers if you warm it up first. -_-

Matys281, you might want to google "kidney stones" if this is your normal intake.

I carry 2 to 3 liters and a couple of ways to purify water including an in the bottle filter and backup iodine if the stuff looks really nasty. This is for a day hunt and when I have run out I have filtered water for myself and others and was glad I could. In a truck camp we always bring more water than needed, but can boil/filter if necessary. Cooler water is fine for showers if you warm it up first. -_-

Matys281, you might want to google "kidney stones" if this is your normal intake.

Like I said I mostly ambush hunt, so excluding the hump in and out, I dont overheat or drain myself that much. Also, at 6'0" i only weigh 170 have very little extra pounds and typically go pretty bare bones. During the late season if my pack weighs even a pound over 40, im leaving something behind. If I pack in during the early sason, I'll be under 30 on the pack weight, and with clear skies and no rain in the forecast I've been at 25 lbs for a 2 nighter.

If I need water, I'll drop down of the ridge into the creek bed and get it, but as this takes over an hour and a half in the dark over rocky steep terrain I do everything I can to avoid it.

Guest akaspecials

I have an ancient version of what is now the katadyn hiker to purify water. I typically hunt close to springs that produce water year round. I've found deer are more predictable near water sources that are consistent.

Anyways, I typically filter from those water sources. When I've been in shitty situations where the water is full of mud or stagnant, I will put the water into a bowl and let all the sentiment settle at the bottom. Then I will pump. I have also used socks or bandanas to keep dirt out of my filter.

Finally, if I know it's a bad water source and cattle have been pissing in it or something similar, I boil the water to be sure after filtering.

I've never had giardia, but watching people with it has made me super cautious about how I treat my water.

Besides that, I always carry at least 64 ounces of good water on my back and I never let myself get below 32 ounces of clean water in the back country. If I'm hunting near a major road or in a populated area, I carry just enough water to wash down the rum since the risk is so much lower.

Haul in my own water, but have back-up filters and tabs to treat in case of an overnight...

Water in plastic WILL turn bad after some time in the heat/sunlight, so even cached water can be suspect...

Hey buddy

AZ is hot enough without having to drink hot water too. Only water I'm caching in the sun I'm using to bath with later.

I go in and out of the sticks so often, I have water stashed in several locations. Have shared those locations with several hikers whom looked a little depleted along the trail, too. We're talking gallon jugs, just ask them to pack out the empties.

• Like 1

Filled up some water bottles in case of an emergency up in the Supes years ago. Must have got them mixed up with my boiled spring water. Woke up one morning couple weeks later with Giardia. But on the bright side, I lost about 30lbs of stubborn fat.

Anyone interested in having water packed in in advance of their excursion, pm me. I'll pack it in and cache it for you.

Not the weight loss program I want to ign up for!

+1 for having you pack it in and cache. Them hosses can haul a lot more in a trip than I can.