CouesWhitetail

bear spray video clip

Here is a short video clip my husband and I got while taking an AZ Highways photographer out to see bears on the San Carlos. This was back when I was working as the biologist for the tribe and I was assigned to help the photographer (Bernadette Heath) get some good bear pics. Well, that was easy enough to do since that year was a great Gambel oak crop and there was a multitude of bears up around Dry Lake. The photographer (who is a very interesting and brave grandmother!) was fearless about bears and would run after them with her tripod and camera to get close enough to get a good shot. After a day of watching some of that behavior I got very concerned for her safety and decided to give her a can of bear spray (along with some advice about being a little more careful around bears).

Anyway, the morning we got this video, my husband and I had left the photographer in a ground blind near the water so she could get some shots of the bears that came in. My husband and I went elsewhere and got some elk and bear video and then when we came back to see how she was doing, we saw she was photographing a bear across the water from her. Then we noticed a bear walking up toward her from behind her. Eventually she noticed that bear also and tried to get pics of it, but she had a large telephoto lens on and the bear was too close for it. And the bear just kept coming toward her, not really aggressively, but I think it was just very curious. She was in camo and had no-scent on, so I think it was hard for the bear to figure out what that object was. (it's also possible it smelled a granola bar in her backpack). So anyway, we knew she had the bear spray and so we just sat down and filmed the event.

here is the clip

Wow that is a very large spray! Maybe I should trade my tiny 4 oz can of foxlabs for a can of that! Great video.

Yes, it was the bigger 8.1 oz can of counter assualt bear spray. You don't want to have to use something that has a small spray. This has a great shotgun pattern. They make an even larger 10 oz can of spray too. This stuff stops charging grizzlies!

Amanda

That's some great footage. How come bears won't come that close when you have a tag in your pocket?

The G&F spray the tags with bear repellant before selling them.

That's some great footage. How come bears won't come that close when you have a tag in your pocket?

The G&F spray the tags with bear repellant before selling them.

:lol: :P :lol:

that is way too funny. bear are so igernut (hope i don't offend anyone with my redneck spelling.) and so goofy. they are absolutely their own worst enemy. we had heck with em in our camp one summer a few miles from biglake. in camp every night. i sprinkled cayenne pepper all over a buncha stuff (excuse my spellin' agin) and that night we heard a helluva rookus. it was 2 bears sneezin' their noses off. rollin' around rubbin' their eyes. they never came back. guess the both snorted a snoot full. at least it got rid of em before they got shot by some road hunter. i've heard that snake loads are real good bear repellent too. Lark.

Great video. The repellant maker would love to that as a product demo clip!

thanks for sharing it

Cool video Amanda, personally I wouldn't feel too good about my chances using that stuff on a charging grizzly. An inquisitive black bear sniffing and poking around trying to satisfy his curiosity and a charging grizzly coming full bore that has his mind made up are two completely different critters. In the latter scenario I'd much prefer a 338 win. mag with a full magazine and one in the chamber, to a can of spray. Anyways very cool footage and a thrill I'm sure for you and your husband, and possibly a change of shorts for the photographer. Thanks for sharing

I know it's hard to believe, but this stuff has been shown to stop charging grizzlies. And it has advantages over a gun in that in that split second of an attack you don't have to aim as well as with a weapon. here is an newspaper article about a guy who used this spray to stop a charging grizzly sow....

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/3258528p-3288277c.html

Amanda

I've heard you can tell the difference between black bear poop and grizzley poop by the smell. Black bear poop smells like berries and acorns and grizzley poop smells like pepper spray and Goretex.

I thought it was illegal to bait bears with women :blink:

Cool video

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

We sure had lots of night visitors this year on our fishing trips out there.

Dan