Coach

6.5 x 284 - thoughts?

Thanks, 308Nut. I think I'll move forward with the 6.5-284, just because my shooting bud has one and we can work up loads together. I know it's a barrel burner but I'm not looking at shooting thousands of rounds. Certainly appreciate your input.

Since you are going with the 6.5-284 I would really look into the slower burning powders like H1000 & Retumbo to get the most out of the cartridge and push the 140 class bullets to the 2950+ mark. The slower burning powders will also aid in barrel life but as long as you don't shoot long strings of fire all the time the barrel should last a good long while.

308nut-- I went with H4350 and 210m as recommended with a 140gr Amax-- going to try to test next week if able or at least get rounds loaded. I noticed a number of powders in the Nosler and Hornady manual that cross over to the 25/06 and .338 win mag... which I own and R19 was a common denominator so I picked up a pound.

Any experience with this in 6.5x284 and heavier bullets? All the data for it is 100-120gr.

Never tried RL19. I did try RL22 with some success. Accuracy and consistency was very good. ES wasn't great but I didn't have any other primers to try at the time. Velocity was good too. Had a fairly high load density as well. I only quit using it because I couldn't find any when I ran out.

if you use 4350 variants you may want to look at rl17. this cartridge and its kin should like it very well. should be able to get a bit more oomph from the same charge as 4350 with less pressure signs. but be careful as it is temp sensitive. loads developed in winter can cause a sticky bolt in summer

Ordered the Shilen S4 Savage Heavy Sporter stainless select match, bead blasted so I can cerecoat in 6.5x284 Norma. No turning back now, lol. Going to get a boyd's thumbhole stock, probably the featherweight, but maybe the varmint. Would love to hear your thoughts on pillar vs. glass bedding.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great combo!! Have you assembled it yet? I have two rifles pillar bedded and one glass (and one accustock). The pillars are lighter recoiling guns (25/06) and the glass bed was 7mm RM. Dont some Boyd's come with bedding blocks?

And not to jack the thread but I've been working load development with my 6.5x284 and RL19--- Up to 48gr so far, Fed 210M, Nosler Brass, and the 140gr Amax, only measuring COAL to 2.99. Getting 2710fps avg from that load. No pressure signs, going to push in .5gr up to 51-52gr next week. Also have H4350 and H4381sc.

Any thoughts on those? I've heard concerns with RL temp variance. Considering I'm shooting here in KY at 80-85 degrees and will be hunting the OCT WT season in AZ I figure the temps will be similar?

Go with the feather weight Boyds stock. Very nice and quite a bit lighter than the varmint. As far as bedding goes I always pillar & glass bed. The pillars allow you to get consistent action bolt torque without crushing any wood and the glass locks it all in place good and solid.

4350 and 4831 are both good powders and you should be able to get up around 2900 before seeing any pressure with those. Retumbo, H1000 and Ramshot Magnum have all worked well for me too.

Stomp--- I will be trying both those powders next week. Also had a mentor donate 100 SMKs and 20 pieces of Lapua brass to try out. I will stick with Amaxs for now as my hunting load. Let ya know how it goes!

Coach-- Do you have pics yet on that new stick?