Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

2 spotters as binocs

Hey if anyone is interested in big eyes that weight under 6 pounds give me a holler. 9288997237 name is Kevin, unreal glass and lightweight!

I think you have to get them collimated or you will have one heck of an headache. Another issue with building your own is width of eyes. My Doctors and the Kowas have the ability to change the width of the eyepieces without moving the whole setup in and out. My 11yo daughter can use mine right after I do. I have a giant bucket head. I posted a picture before but I love this shot. She glassed for hours on last years left over tag in 32. She saw tons of things that weren't deer. (birds, javelina, cows, horses...)

post-3516-0-33987600-1437226414_thumb.jpg

Eye width and culminating them isn't a issue. If your doctors come out of culmination or your kowas your done. These you just put back and your good to go.

Eye width and culminating them isn't a issue. If your doctors come out of culmination or your kowas your done. These you just put back and your good to go.

So you are saying you can easily change IPD without losing collimation? Do you need tools to change IPD?

It really depends on how much time you want to put into them. You can get them ( 2 spotters) set up for yourself rather quickly. Whether or not you can pinch them in or widen them so someone else can also look through them is another story. It all depends on your set up and brand of scopes etc. I believe I saw a picture of Craig from ORG using a different scopes then the swaros. Depends on how they are mounted too. The eurooptic bracket for the 80mm scopes actually fixes them in place and moves one out and in where as most of the simpler set ups let the scopes rotate on their own axis to pinch the eye pieces in or out.

So me and Craig are using the same set up, two kowa tsn 664 scopes with a 30 power wide angle eye piece. These scopes are super light and have the same if not more field of view then a vortex razor 85mm, they are fairly cheap when you find the right deal and when put on the plate we use they can be adjusted for diff eye widths basically the same way binoculars would be. Anyone can use my big eyes in the field and I can barely look through swaro 15s. Plus they weigh under 6 pounds..... Amazing glass and amazing ability, you literally have to see it to believe it. I'm always open to show anyone or share pictures or just chat about them. Applineman@gmail.com or call me 9288997237

I have acquired some eyepieces and at some point think I'll try a spotter/big eye bino set up. Figured to set it up for my own IPD. I find it encouraging that some of you feel changing IPD then re-collimating is no big deal.

Just remember I'm talkin off my experience with the twin kowas, I guarantee they will work on every eye width, and they will culminate with the plate we use. The plate is simple and it might sound cumbersome but it is easy. I'm going to do a write up on orghunt soon so watch for it if you want or contact me.

Just remember I'm talkin off my experience with the twin kowas, I guarantee they will work on every eye width, and they will culminate with the plate we use. The plate is simple and it might sound cumbersome but it is easy. I'm going to do a write up on orghunt soon so watch for it if you want or contact me.

So me and Craig are using the same set up, two kowa tsn 664 scopes with a 30 power wide angle eye piece. These scopes are super light and have the same if not more field of view then a vortex razor 85mm, they are fairly cheap when you find the right deal and when put on the plate we use they can be adjusted for diff eye widths basically the same way binoculars would be. Anyone can use my big eyes in the field and I can barely look through swaro 15s. Plus they weigh under 6 pounds..... Amazing glass and amazing ability, you literally have to see it to believe it. I'm always open to show anyone or share pictures or just chat about them. Applineman@gmail.com or call me 9288997237

How's the low light performance with these? A 66mm scope at 30x has an exit pupil of only 2.2mm so far anything lower than 3mm I find to be too dark at first/last light.

You do loose some time time but not a whole lot, I noticed in my dads elk hunt last year some time waiting for more light but nothing I thought was horrible. There are small details that are not perfect but for under 6 pounds and amazing glass it opens doors to a lot for pack in and tear some country apart

You do loose some time time but not a whole lot, I noticed in my dads elk hunt last year some time waiting for more light but nothing I thought was horrible. There are small details that are not perfect but for under 6 pounds and amazing glass it opens doors to a lot for pack in and tear some country apart