Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Giant velvet buck

Did you all see the monster buck in velvet in the new pics section of live deer? Click on the link to it on the main page. That deer is an absolute hog in my book and I can only hope a crack at a deer like that with my bow. YIKES!!!!! He's gotta be over 105" I think. What do you guys say?

Josh

OK, I'm a total idiot. I haven't looked at the site in a few and didn't even notice the whole topic on this deer on another link. Disregard!

Josh

I think that buck was worth starting a new forum on, he's a MONSTER. I guessed 118 but maybe thats two high because it looks to be a 3 by 4. It looks like a small fourth point starting on the deers right antler. Reminds me of the three by three you took a couple years ago archery hunting. Good Luck Hunting

When do coues deer antlers stop growing? Been scouting out some muleys and they don't look fully grown yet. The elk around Flagstaff have yet to fill out there top points fully. Since elk and deer lose antlers at different times, I guess they will finally end the growing cycle sometime here in August. Coues loose antlers a little later so maybe this coues does have a couple more weeks of growing. He would just be Gigantic then, putting him into the 120's because he has such great width.

The country in those pictures look just like country I've seen in about a dozen different units. The more time we spend out scouting will definately increase our chances of seeing a buck of that magnitude. I can't wait to get out again!

My best guess is that Coues antlers are about done come the second week of September. They tend to start rubbing in late Sept early Oct. Of course there are exceptions to this but I feel that it's give or take a week or so in that time frame. I try to wait to hunt them untill the last bit of archery deer season so they can grow all they can by then.

There are bulls out there that are already rubbing right now so that's gets me jazzed. I saw a really nice bull on Monday morning that was still in full velvet but a friend of mine saw a few up in 10 that were in tatters and a couple fully rubbed. I can't wait to see that first fresh rub of the season......especially a Coues rub!

Josh

Josh, when you're as good as you are at archery hunting you could probably wait until the last day of the archery season before heading out. I guess the first week or so of the season you'll have to chase carp around and wait for the coues to get fully grown. <_< I'm still finding elk antler sheds up around Flagstaff so I'll have to have you buy them this Spring. Good Luck Hunting!

111, I definitly wouldn't say I'm good with only 2 Coues bucks under my belt in the past 10 years but thank you. I just know how my first buck looked when I took him on opening day compared to my second one that I killed Sept 6th. There's a huge difference of growth in just those 2 weeks and I don't care for mostly grown antlers, I want as much as I can on there in order for me to fling my arrows. I wouldn't shoot at a carp deer unless it was 160"+ with my bow, I just love them Coues. Give me a holler when you're ready to get rid of a few.

Josh