Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Is it time to buy preference points for WY antelope?

I want to buy points for Wyoming antelope for the next few years and draw a decent unit. Is now the time to do it? I thought I read that you can after July 1st.

I whouln't buy to many. Point creep this year was ridiculous. You will be 20 years to get a great tag. I have 8 for elk and deer. Thats 2 behind max.I will never catch up ,so burning one next year and the other one the year afterI can get descent hunts but not great. Did the Antelope last year. Nothin this year as I am putting all effort and funding into early AZ. Bull tag...........BOB!

If you are trying to get the best tags in the state you will never catch up. If you are like me and just want a fun hunt, you can do that with a few Deer, Antelope & Elk points. Wyoming is Awesome!!!!

• Like 1

If you are trying to get the best tags in the state you will never catch up. If you are like me and just want a fun hunt, you can do that with a few Deer, Antelope & Elk points. Wyoming is Awesome!!!!

No, not the best in the state....just a good chance at a decent buck. I have never hunted antelope (and may never in AZ). Are you saying I should buy deer points too? I'd like to take a good muly before I take up the rockin' chair.

No, not the best in the state....just a good chance at a decent buck. I have never hunted antelope (and may never in AZ). Are you saying I should buy deer points too? I'd like to take a good muly before I take up the rockin' chair.

I would say you should just get a tag and go. If you've never been, you'll think most any 14" buck or more looks pretty good and be happy with one. After that you'll look a little harder at the little things on them that make them score well and may want to wait a few years for a better tag. As far as deer go I'm sitting on 7 or 8 pts but shy of max. From what I hear the deer hunting is in a major slump in WY. My buddy drew the best hunt in the state a year or two ago and saw one buck on private that woulda went 170. Other then that he didn't see anything over 150. Ended up eating the tag. I wouldn't waste my money on Wyoming deer piints right now if I didn't have a connection or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Yeah, It's not as necessary to go out of state for deer. It's pretty easy to draw a tag in AZ, and fair chance to find a decent buck. Someday I'll put in for AZ muly....if I can get over this WT addiction. Colorado may be a better choice for muly. Much closer than WY. Tag fee may be more though...not sure.

For now, I think I'll just buy a WY goat tag and plan a trip in two or three years. It'd be nice to go with someone who knows the ropes, to be more efficient with the time.

Done. Just purchased a preference point for antelope. Thanks for the input.

I think Colo. is better deer choice and closer too..............BOB!

• Like 1

I think Colo. is better deer choice and closer too..............BOB!

I'm with bob on this one. Colorado is in the middle of "the good ol days" for muleys right now. Wyoming is in a slump. I'd take a Colorado tag over a Wyoming tag any day of the week, and it's closer for you guys from az.

If you want to have a chance at a nice animal of any species you need to start buying points NOW! Yes there is a point creep, but with 3-5 points you can still go on a nice hunt. The more states you buy points in, the better chance you have at going hunting each year.

Agree 100%, Colorado is the place for Carp, but Utah is another great option.