Designated Dispersed Camping  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Will you hunt according to the MVUM Maps

• I will use closed roads while hunting scouting
    • I do not expect to get a ticket from NFS
    • I will camp within the set limits for camps from the road
    • I will stay in dispersed camping areas
    • I will continue to use my normal camping spots

Dispersed camp is a measurement actually. Its the radius of the diameter of stuff me my kids my cousins and my sisters roommate have strung all over camp by the end of the camping trip.

Oh its a loosing battle for sure, I have a rihno and quad and dirt bike and I use roads its just there doesn't need to be one every mile going left and right and to every water hole and around every hill.

not sure about the area your referring to but most waterholes and roads cut are for cattle, cut by ranchers, lots are/were maintained by ranchers and if there's a lease then they need access. Can fully block a road for them or emergency services if needed. That's why the FS uses signs.

Oh its a loosing battle for sure, I have a rihno and quad and dirt bike and I use roads its just there doesn't need to be one every mile going left and right and to every water hole and around every hill.

not sure about the area your referring to but most waterholes and roads cut are for cattle, cut by ranchers, lots are/were maintained by ranchers and if there's a lease then they need access. Can fully block a road for them or emergency services if needed. That's why the FS uses signs.

No comprende. Most of the time I cant find a sign.

I called Coconino and was left a voicemail from an enforcement supervisor stating camping is allowed on any legally open road but your vehicle must be parked within 30' of the road unless it's highlighted in yellow then you can park your vehicle up to 300' from the road. Your actual camp can be as far from the road as you want, the restriction is for vehicles only.

• Like 2

I read somewhere last week, can't find it now, where Tonto had a 100' camping from the road and you were allowed to travel 1 mile off road to recover down game. I know for sure that's what it said but dam if I can remember where I read this. For the life of me I can't figure out why all the forest can't get on the same page. :)

TJ

Hey TJ -

The TNF is still "finalizing" their Travel Management Plan after 10 years. They have recently been evaluating 3 alternatives, A B and C, liberal moderate and conservative. Which alternative they choose, which will likely be modified even further before it's complete, will officially dictate where you can travel off road to retrieve game in the future. I read in the last proposal there were different distances among ranger districts as well.

Funny the Forest Circus doesn't have a date posted within the document itself, but in the title of this link it claims it was updated 051015. So as it appears to me, currently, you can only retrieve down game in the Payson and Pleasant Valley ranger districts.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/59232_FSPLT2_051015.pdf

"Hunting is another popular recreational activity, resulting in the influx of commercial outfitter guides and many out of town visitors to the Tonto NF. Motor vehicles, particularly OHVs, are used by some hunters for transportation during the hunt and for camping and off-road game retrieval, which is not prohibited in the Payson or Pleasant Valley ranger districts."

post-3844-0-11577500-1437510240_thumb.jpg