Sign in to follow this  
murfys69law

Just how tough are Elk?

They will run quite hard and long on pure adrenaline. My dad hit a cow elk twice at 40-50 yards with a 300 weatherby and she kept running. Good clean shots with no exit holes. I then hit her with a 338 win mag which wasn't the best shot but it was still in the right ballpark. She turned 180* and kept running right back at my dad who hit her 2 more times clean. She kept running another 40-50 yards and finally folded up.

It was crazy. She got hit with over 1000 grains of lead and wouldn't go down. Pure adrenaline and will to live. When we cleaned her out I literally used a coke can with the top cut off to scoop out the lungs and liver. The we're liquid, not organs and she was still trying g to get up after she went down.

I have seen videos of the same kind of shot with smaller rifles put bull elk down where they stood. She wasn't having any of that noise.

Harley

Had a buddies elk that had a broken back leg that was healed over, a gore wound in his butt, and a hematoma along one whole side. Think he got hit by a car when he was younger and took a butt-whoopin from a different bull.

A buddy bagged a nice 6pt bull last year. Found two mechanical broadheads in the shoulder besides his own.

I've killed 2 bulls. The first had 6 inches of horn sticking out of his neck and last years had an arrow wound right thru his hump.

• Like 1