Sign in to follow this  
218buck

Kuiu packs

Was wondering if any one is using these new packs and what your thoughts are . I have been thinking about getting one thanks

Definitely good packs. I had the chance to try a couple and thought they were really nice, but never took one backcountry. Ended up going Kifaru though, and can say the Kifaru is the best pack I have ever thrown on. WAY better than the Sitka packs I have had, but so are the Kuiu's. That being said, I did a crap ton of research before biting the bullet and it seemed like everything pointed to Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier as being the best packs on the market in that order. Personally never tried out a Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier though.

I use the EXO hunting pack. Built well, carries well and can have meat shelf next to back and bag after that. Stone glacier is another great pack from research I read. It was a little more pricey but was my first choice. I picked EXO as there was a 25% discount last year.

I've owned and icon 1850 and ultra 3000. I have to say they are great! I stick with the ultra 3000 because its simple and super lightweight. Right at 3 lbs. Big enough for 3-5 day backpacking trip and once you put it in load sling mode you can haul all your meat on the carbon frame easily

• Like 1

218 which kuiu? Icon or the ultra? Both are good packs but the icon can handle more weight comfortably. I have an icon and it's a solid pack but as weight gets upwards of 60-70 lbs it starts to become a bit uncomfortable. For big weight like a 7 day trip where you will be packing out heavy cause of a kill, I don't think it will handle the weight so I am looking at kifaru. They are very pricey but I think I will be worth it. You have two different frames and many bag and accessories to add to really customize to your needs. EXO and stone glacier are two other brands worth looking at. Is the pack gonna be for multi day trips, day hunts, or freighter use or any combo of those and that should steer you in the right direction.

Packs are like quality boots, lots of great ones out there, but only a few will work specifically for you! I have done about a years worth of research on a pack and I am just now narrowing down the field to a couple. When you are spending $500+ on a pack you want to make the right decision. Good luck!

By the way, my buddy has trail cam pics of the buck in your avatar. We bow hunted him the year you killed him. We had named him flair. Great deer for sure and he didn't go far from where we hunted him to where you shot him!

I have the Icon 1850 and love it. Everything is right where it needs to be and it handles a load very well. The load sling mode is stupid easy. When loading up last years buck, I looked around like, "no way it was THAT easy... I'm forgetting something..." I wasn't. I was just used to lasharooing my deer to my pack frame.