Sign in to follow this  

where am i?

As you know I cheated a little Lark...lol. I've never been there but I'm good at guessing.

Very cool find :) I wonder who put it there originally and how many people have seen it since.

I have no idea where it is, but I'm surprised that some over zealous antler picker-upper hasn't snapped that thing right off the tree.

Me too. it's up a lot higher than it looks in the photo. i'm kinda surprised it ain't rotted off. c'mon guys. somebody knows where it is. guess this'n an' i'll figger out another one. Lark.

dang i missed it. jack is the winner. saunder's cabin. way up eagle creek, under the rim. the wallow fire almost got it, but it survived. it's a loooooong way from civilization. good job jack. Lark.

nope. that i know of, they never had a ranch. at east not rogether. Clell kinda married into one on the upper blue. this place ain't a real furr piece from there. i think jack may know where it is. Lark.

The ranch I visited in the late 60's is gone. Clell must have had 60+ hounds on site when I was there. Always assumed it was part of the family ranch. I did not know the family.

dang i missed it. jack is the winner. saunder's cabin. way up eagle creek, under the rim. the wallow fire almost got it, but it survived. it's a loooooong way from civilization. good job jack. Lark.

Cool place for sure!...looonngg ways from home...First and only weekend I spent bear camping in 27 that's where I ended up...probably 15 years ago the door to the cabin was just closed with a piece of wire...cabin was full stocked and there was a note saying if you need it use it but put it back...doubt it still that way?

saunders cabin is one of the jewells of the mogollon. you can get there by bailing off the salt house trail from up by the highway or by taking the road up eagle creek from honeymoon. but the road from honeymoon is usually washed out. when i took this photo we had ridden in horseback, or muleback for me and 1 son, and were spring turkey hunting. the cabin is always open and there is always a little food there, if you get siwashed and can find your way to it. just leave it in good shape. it belongs to the 4 drag lease and they have to maintain it, but it's public land and we're all fortunate to have it. it's worth the effort to see it some time. great country. Lark.

Lark:

The only time I was at Saunder's cabin was about 1965 or '67. We drove in from Honeymoon in my 1947 Jeep CJ2A. The road wasn't washed out yet, but there were places where it was tilted at such extreme angles it was downright scary. I obviously wasn't very observant because I would have remembered seeing an antler in a tree if I had seen it.

Bill Quimby

Oops! 1965 was 50 years ago. That's the trouble with being older than dirt. It's hard to believe, but I guess I was there before someone hung that antler.

Bill Quimby

could be bill. i always figgerd johnny gray put it there, but he said he didn't. it's been there are as long as i can remember, but i ain't for sure when i was there the first time. probly late 60's. whoever did it hammered a couple old horse shoes over the eyeguard and then put a buncha bailing wire around it. it's all grown over now. Lark.

There's an oak tree in the Santa Ritas that has grown around part of an old car's spoked wheel. I've forgotten which canyon it's in, but maybe someone here has seen and photographed it.

Bill Quimby

up markham creek there is an old set of elgin dehorners grown into the fork of a sycamore. johnny gray said there is an old lever action rifle grown into the fork of a juniper up under the rim, kinda in the same country as this antler. Lark.

Me and my neighbor tried to ride to the cabin from the top of the rim last spring. It was rough going since the trail was all burned up.We lost the trail and stopped to evaluate the situation as it was getting really rough and my buddies young pack horse slipped and fell over backwards and started tumbling down the steep grade. My heart sank as i thought she was a goner . luckily she slid to a stop next to a large boulder. 10 more feet and it would have been all over as there was a 30 foot drop off and the bottom of the canyon. Luckily the horse was ok just banged up.We wanted to regrup and try comin on the jeep trail but we decided our pack horse was now to dinged up to use for that trip.