Ed67

San Diego

My son finishes basic training next week and I'll have a short window to take him out to do something. He wants to fish an overnight trip out of San Diego. Anyone have any experience with the Jig Strike? They have a couple overnight trips coming up. Thx.

Fish counts are pretty low. PM biglakejake, he seems to have a finger on the pulse of the SD Fleet.

• Like 1

Thanks I just looked at the counts. We might go with plan B

It's not an overnight trip but The San Diego out of Seaforth is a great all day trip.

The tuna are in pretty close right now. We were catching fish within 1 hour of leaving the bait terminal last week.

There's a lot of nice bluefin right now, not wide open but a good shot at fish. Schools of Dorado also showed up, but are extremely line shy. You want to have a light 15-20lb outfit for them. The yellowfin and bluefin are mostly on the 30-40lb gear. Some bluefin are giant. You need 60-80lb gear if you run across those. Still plenty of nice yellowtail too.I have a trip in a week and a half scheduled on the outer limits.

I'll give it a few more days and keep checking the counts then make a decision. Thanks for all the input.

It's not an overnight trip but The San Diego out of Seaforth is a great all day trip.

The tuna are in pretty close right now. We were catching fish within 1 hour of leaving the bait terminal last week.

Glad you had a good experience with Seaforth. I did the 1/2 day trip with Seaforth. There were way too many people and no fish. The only people catching were the captain's buddies. I caught 2 rockfish. Not worth the money. Seems like a full day trip is the way to go.

I did the 3/4 day. Left at 5:30 am returned at 6:00. 40'ish tuna and 10 or 12 yellowtail.

Headed out on the outer limits on Thursday for a 2 day. Fish counts look pretty good but no matter what it's gonna be a good time!

We may end up doing a 3/4 day. It seems the fish counts are no better or worse than the overnight trips. 208 I realize a two day is much different than 3/4 or overnight trips but your report would likely make my decision. Would you report how your trip goes? Thx.

Will do but if I forget google sea forth sportfishing and look up the outer limits, or any boat you want. You can see the fish count for the last 10 trips or so. #of anglers, fish counts, and duration. They post em pretty fast.

Check bloodydecks.com. Fish are very close to shore right now. 3 miles. Might not need an overnight trip.

Some more of my buddies were out the last few days. Said tons of life everywhere but Tuna were extremely picky. Said the had 100lb class bluefin boiling all around them, but would not bite. Ended up with a bunch of small Dorado off a paddy, a 25lb white Seabass at point loma kelp and a few yellowtail. They only fished inshore for a short time after all day offshore and got that Seabass. Makes me wonder if that's a bite being missed because even the half day boats are out looking for tuna?