ScottAdams

Cliff Dwelling

It's been quite a while since I've posted as this is the off season for me. I'm currently in the process of getting started buidling a house, so while I'm waiting on the driller to get the well in I took a hike up a canyon that a friend of mine said had a cliff dwelling in it. It is only 2.4 miles from where our house will be so I thought I would check it out. It was a pretty good hike but I was able to find and photograph it. I even kicked out a Coues doe on the hike in. It's nice to know there are Coues deer that close to where I'll be living. Heck with my 30's I'll be able to glass em up from the house.

This is called the Pygmy Ruin because there are supposed to be some small hand prints in the mud on the walls. They are about the size of child's hand hence the name Pygmy. I never did see the hand prints but there was a much smaller ruin about 30 yards to the right of the big ruin that I couldn't get into with my current mountain climbing skills that may have held the handprints.

It's kind of neat knowing I'll be living this close to some real natural history.

View of where the ruins are from the SW corner of my property.

SWCornerviewIIxtra.jpg

A little closer view as I was hiking in.

PygmyRuinIxtra.jpg

Here is a look from the canyon under the ruin. I kicked out the Coues deer here.

PygmyRuinIIxtra.jpg

Here's the cliff dwelling.

PygmyRuinIII.jpg

A little peek from the inside looking out.

PygmyRuinIV.jpg

If thats the dwelling off the road going to rattle snake gap I have been there many times cool place. there is an old mine shaft about a mile or so over the mountain that is worth checking out too.

Looks like real nice country Scott. Congrats on your new house being built.. Looks like an incredible view!

Wish I had coues that close to my house ;)

AzP&Y

Great photos scott. Keep the location quiet as the more people that know about it the more people will go see it and then you know what that leads to.

Hey i have an idea why build a house it looks as though that one is available and you will be in the heart of coues country. :lol:

Nice part of history in your own backyard! Thanks for the photos!

Daniel, this is not the one you are talking about. This one is quite a bit more difficult to get to. I didn't know about an old mine up there, you'll have to fill me in.

I'm not sure I can convince my wife to take up residency there, although the view can't be beat. I think she's looking for something a little more modern. ;)

I can come put a bathroom in it for you with marble or granitex walls. once again cool to have that so close to your yard. I will be spending more time out that way kind of. My father in law looks like he will be working at the new mine in saford. He will be comming down from the gold fields in northern nevada.

You'll have to look me up when you get down this direction. I'm just a hop, skip and jump from Safford.

Great pics Scott! What a view from inside the dwelling!!! Congrats on building your home in coues country!