Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Face-to-Face with a Mountain Lion

I was reading up on some wildlife photographers and they say it's about impossible to photograph a mountain lion in the wild. I've seen other CWT members get good pics too. Hunters have an advantage I do believe.

I submitted it to AZ Highways/G&F for their yearly calendar. I find humor that my lion pic was the only one not taken at a zoo :)

• Like 2

I was reading up on some wildlife photographers and they say it's about impossible to photograph a mountain lion in the wild. I've seen other CWT members get good pics too. Hunters have an advantage I do believe.

I submitted it to AZ Highways/G&F for their yearly calendar. I find humor that my lion pic was the only one not taken at a zoo :)

You would do well armed with a electronic caller and a ground blind, don't forget the fawn decoy.

cool pic -story and video- just one comment - chances are this is a juvenile that was run off by it's mother

mating season is generally dec-march -

chances are this youngn is still calling for mommy

cool pic -story and video- just one comment - chances are this is a juvenile that was run off by it's mother

mating season is generally dec-march -

chances are this youngn is still calling for mommy

You know I value your opinion but I'll politely disagree with you. I'll agree she was on the younger side but she was hardly a kitten calling for her mother.

mtn lions average 1 litter every 2-3 yrs through its breeding life

a young mtn lion will normally stay with its mother and leave to establish its own territory at about 2 yrs of age and they will not look like a kitten

probably why you were able to get pictures - as the youngn had no history with humans

it may have been crying for its other siblings as well -

the mother probably has a new batch of cubs

your lion looks to be a young 2 yr old - small skinny youngn

its generally not breeding season now but cub season