Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Face-to-Face with a Mountain Lion

What a great experience, thanks for sharing Christina!

• Like 1

Wow that's a fantastic experience and incredible pictures! You just never know what you'll encounter in God's wonderful creations!

• Like 2

As you know I always enjoy reading about your experiences Christina. This one was awesome AND you got the photos to back it up. Good job and thanks.

• Like 2

I'm hearing it's kinda rare to witness a female lion calling for a mate. I know I'll never forget the sound. It is deeply engrained.

I've thought after the fact how nice it would be if I had taken a video with audio. Yeah right. I wasn't moving an inch.

Yeah those females in heat have a sound that makes the hair stand right up on your arms ... especially when they are right next to you ... heard it twice down south in 36b but only once got our eyes on her ... Awesome adventure and Photos !

p.s. next time out you may want to carry a tag and gun to take out Cecila

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your awesome experience Christina. I know exactly what you were going thru. I've never heard one calling for a mate but I've seen 13 of them and they are an awesome critter to view in the wild. Good job on getting a few pictures. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Great experience and as usual awesome pic's and write up

Thanks Christina my wife is never setting foot in 6a ever again. Amazing pics

Please tell her I'm sorry :(

I was told they were there. I've been tromping around 6A for over 10 years and never saw one.

It did open my eyes A LOT when I was told by someone who had night vision goggles that he saw over a dozen lions in one night somewhere near Stoneman. Freaky!

I slept in the back of the truck the first night but inside the second night because it sure did look like a slight chance of rain... ;) Lol

PS- I always have my lion tag with me. I've bought one every single year just in case.

I'll agree my sidearm needs upgraded in the future. That's on my list.

I also would've had a shot at 2 coyotes the night before if I had a rifle with me.

• Like 1

Awesome story! First and only one I've seen was on a quail hunt in 37b by Black mountain. I was 70 yards out while my buddy came up to that thick Mexican hay grass ( I think that's the name) and he stopped dead in his tracks. He saw fur and herd wrestling in the grass. On the back side which he couldn't see popped out a mountain lion high tailing it out of there. Once I told him what it was he was freaking out that he got 5 ft to one and still couldn't tell what it was. That's why NOW I walk through that grass wih my finger close to the trigger.!