Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

November Glassing Down South (Coues)

So the first couple of hunts are in the books already and you are holding a November tag in the 36's. The road bucks are in garage freezers already. The smart bucks have seen this years class of new shiny Rangers and Razers buzzing up and down every known two tracker. The survivors have heard the rifle reports or maybe even felt the hot rocks from misses near the hooves. So my question is-where is your favorite place to glass, High?, The Rollers or in the flats? Just curious. All .02 welcomed.

In small pockets with some cover maybe just off the raid maybe a mile or so in. Look where you think know one has looked where I hunt it could be a high bute with a road at the base or a packet with a road at the top or the perfect pocket 45 minute walk for the truck. Just my .02

36 a you can find them in the flats, and large rolling hills where the muleys are at to. I see less couse inthe rolling hills on the north side of 36b. Only muleys! But lots if them at the base of the mountains in the hills. There are plenty there. Once you get into 3-5 miles in on 36 b it's all couse flats, rolling hills and mountains.

I usually like to find a vantage point in the large hills where I have 180 degrees out to a mile and I'll sit that for a while.

There is a little cooling period in temperatures and pressure before that hunt starts and being in 36b twice on that late November hunt we ran into only 1 junior hunter past the Tuesday prior to the start... You may be surprised what runs across the road right in front of you at anytime down there ... That being said , look for the nasty High and thicker deeper cuts IMO ... If you find big groups of does you will see a couple small guys usually still, but the big bucks are not going to be that close yet move a ridge or two over ... and like FCW80 said do not shy away from the Muley country

In town....

LOL..That's my back up plan. I can sleep in and just show up to the Arivaca Mercantile when it opens, set up on the chip isle, and glass the photos on the wall of fame. Cool, just not the same.

Thanks guys for the responses. After hunting in 36B for the past 7 years, its back to where it all began, 36A. I've been looking at all my old maps, but now it seems, there are a lot more roads then back then according to fly-overs on Google Earth. Time to fuel up the Tahoe and see just how much it has changed.

As far as glassing, I like to begin at the foothills, south and east facing slopes in the morning. However I'm always drawn to the high stuff, call it my achilles heel. Probably due to years of glassing in 27. I'm planning on making some changes this year. Seeking out the thoughts of you veterans has been very helpful. Keep'um coming.