bowsniper

Fishing

When it comes to fishing, I am completely worthless. But my boys, 7 and 11, want dad to take them fishing, so I could use some suggestions. I'd like to take next them weekend, some where in AZ, maybe 6000 feet or higher, hopefully not with horades of other campers. Moderate 4WD or on the reservation is fine. I'm not looking for monster fish, just some place the kids could catch a few despite their worthless old man. Any suggestions? PM me if you like.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Mark,

It's a haul, but worth the drive. White Mountain Apache Reservation-

Reservation Lake.

You can read the reports, but it's rated as excellent right now. I've never gone there and not caught fish. The state record BROWN TROUT (22 lb. 14.5 oz. 36.0 in.) came from this lake. It's truely majestic with a backdrop of Mt. Baldy. I know they are doing some road construction on the roads up there .. So you may want to check that out prior to your departure. Reservation lake is at 9000 ft , so the mornings will be a nice retreat from the sweltering desert temps the past few days.

They also rent boats at the Reservation Lake store, in case you want to really enjoy the fishing. If you don't fly-fish this is the place to learn (start).

Good Luck and Tight LINES! <:((((((((<

http://wmatoutdoors.org/fishingreport1.shtml

An easier lake on the res that has nice fish is Horshoe Cienega and Little bear (good 2nd choices)...

AzP&Y

post-898-1182561945.jpg

if by next weekend you mean 7 days from today remember that the sunrise bow shoot is that weekend... there might be alot of people on the rez....

j-

if you want the kids to have a blast take them to freds lake in pinetop its a pay lake but great for kids they never get bored but dont forget the 100.00 bill

If you go past Reservation lake a few miles you come up on a small lake called Drift Fence. There is very little fishing pressure and there are always alot of fish biting.

If you go past Reservation lake a few miles you come up on a small lake called Drift Fence. There is very little fishing pressure and there are always alot of fish biting.

Younghunter, how long has it been since you fished Drift Fence? I was there last year and it was low and weedy. Only a few fish but the year before was excellent. A friend of mine fished it a couple weeks ago after the X-Diamond Flyfishing School and got skunked. The waters back up but the reserv.g&f said it had got hammered over the Holidays and the fishing has been poor since. Just an update for your information. It usually is one of my favorite ones as well. The next time I'm in the store I'll stop bye and say hello.

TJ

Thanks guys for your ideas. Is there info online about fishing conditons around the state?

Thanks again,

Mark

Thanks guys for your ideas. Is there info online about fishing conditons around the state?

Thanks again,

Mark

Yes Mark, there is at azgfd.com. I have them send the fishing report weekly. There are other topics you can get like endanger species, wildlife views, ect. They don't give any information on fishing any Indian Reservations that I know of. Enjoy!

TJ