Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

Hunting within city limits?

Well that still doesnt help me but maybe my own question will. I am outside the 202 loop in queen creek lots of farmers fields still in city limits with lots of dove and houses over courter mile away. There are no private property signs. Can i hunt there? They are random fields that everyone drives by and if u are a dove hunter you say man would like to hunt there. I am just scared about police and property owner because someone has to own the field but according to rules i think i should be able to hunt. What makes me scared is everyone in queen creek only piles into like two spots and no where else. Makes me wonder if they are scared like me so they go werr other poeple are or that is the only place you can hunt?

I have been hunting around Queen Creek for the past 5 years. The vast majority of farmers do not care if your hunting on their property. Remember, if there is no sign you are allowed to hunt. That doesn't mean I don't ask. I've contacted most of the farmers surrounding Queen Creek. I only know of 2 that have said no. If you see a field with Dove, go hunt! Don't be like the rest of the flock and pile up off Ironwood & Ellsworth. Those area's can be like war zones.

Everyone thinks Dove hot spots stay the same year after year. That's not correct! What was good last year is usually not good the following year. For the last 5 years my hot spots have changed every year. Very frustrating! You have to scout for Dove just like you scout for Deer & Elk. The better your scouting the better spots you will find. I scout new spots every year. Every year I find new and better spots.

Adam

• Like 2

Within Unit 25M as described in R12-4-108, all incorporated lands, including private property within municipal boundaries, are closed to hunting unless opened under Commission Order. Incorporated includes all municipal and corporate limits. County islands are open to hunting provided the hunter does not discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied farmhouse, residence, cabin, lodge, or building without permission of the owner or resident. Privately held lands within county islands may be closed by the landowner.

There are several rules that encompass multiple units. Read them before heading out.

I have done a ton of research and spoke with quite a few people. The area in question actually falls under Unit 26M. I spoke with a clerk at the Mesa office who said I can NOT hunt within city limits. Then I spoke with a customer service person at the Main office and was told I can NOT hunt within city limits unless I am on a county island. I then explained to her that doesn't make sense, as I am NOT within city limits if I am in a county island. She said good point and transferred me to a game warden. He was super friendly and went over the whole thing with me and said YES, I can hunt within city limits. That being said, I called an attorney who specializes in hunting law and she was wiling to spend some time on the phone. I explained that my concern was that ARS 13-3107 seems to say I can hunt in areas that G&F says are ok, but it also is worded to say that a City can revoke that based on the part that discusses the 1/4 mile rule. She agreed with me saying that is correct, they can say in the City ordinance that you have to be further than 1/4 mile making so that you can't hunt. Looking at the City code, it seems to say that I CAN hunt, but only on land that is zoned "Special Rural". I tried looking at a zoning map and don't see anything designated that way, so I put a call into the zoning commission to see if they can elaborate.

Basically anywhere outside of 25m (inside 26m ) 1/4 from an oppupiced structure(assuming all structures are occupied ) you can hunt dove and quail during a legal season shot gun shooting shot within city limits on public land.

• Like 1

I could be wrong here, but as I understand it if you are on state land then you don't have to worry about any city laws, just the as you don't have to worry about it on a county island. At that point, only the laws of the state are applicable and you can hunt as outlined in ARS 13-3107.

Oz31p were is there public land in city limits that is 1/4 mile from occupied structure? Anywhere?

Most the city limits extend well beyond the main city. Most of my spots are within the Queen Creek city limits. Most of it is not public land. It's usually private farm land. I take my rangefinder with me to ensure I'm past 1/4 mile from any structure.

I have hunted inside city limits as well as around farm fields that were not posted. 1/4 mile away from buildings. Go back the next year and it's closed. Talked to the farmer and he says it would not be a problem if the hunters would just pick up their shell casings and trash. They didn't so he posted it and that was that! Please don't leave your crap laying there. I lost a good hunt spot because of idiot hunters.

• Like 1

I have hunted inside city limits as well as around farm fields that were not posted. 1/4 mile away from buildings. Go back the next year and it's closed. Talked to the farmer and he says it would not be a problem if the hunters would just pick up their shell casings and trash. They didn't so he posted it and that was that! Please don't leave your crap laying there. I lost a good hunt spot because of idiot hunters.

The only 2 farm fields I was not given permission at was due to the same reason. The farmer said he was tired of picking up spent shells and having the shells get into his equipment.

FYI, offering Elk & Deer meat to farmers will usually get you permission to hunt their land;)

Agreed. Makes me so angry how messy people are. I remember the good ol' days when we used to go off-roading at the river and have free reign. I loved being able to jump off the tailgate straight into the river back then. I remember the adults would always make us kids do a trash clean-up shortly before we left so it was always better than how we found it. I still believe in that and make sure to clean up because I'm so tired of areas getting shut down.

if you will understand one thing - every "CITY" has it's own laws -

fact and point I just talked to the district attorney for city of Peoria

no discharging a firearm within city limits - this includes all annexed land - PERIOD

doesn't matter what season or state trust land or G&F zoning !!

if you get a ticket - you will go to court and you will be fined

if you want to argue with law enforcement officers in the field be my guest

g&f doesn't have any say in city laws or their enforcement

you need to call the city attorney's office as they will most likely be the ones prosecuting you at your hearing - if cited

yes there are island of private land within a few city zoned boundaries - if you are lucky enough to be able to hunt these =- please consider it a privilege and act accordingly by picking up brass and or offering your services to help the rancher out at a future date

The only 2 farm fields I was not given permission at was due to the same reason. The farmer said he was tired of picking up spent shells and having the shells get into his equipment.

FYI, offering Elk & Deer meat to farmers will usually get you permission to hunt their land;)

Have you guys ever tried offering to clean-up their property from what others had left behind? I wonder if that would help ease their mind enough to let you make it on a short list of people.

if you will understand one thing - every "CITY" has it's own laws -

fact and point I just talked to the district attorney for city of Peoria

no discharging a firearm within city limits - this includes all annexed land - PERIOD

doesn't matter what season or state trust land or G&F zoning !!

if you get a ticket - you will go to court and you will be fined

if you want to argue with law enforcement officers in the field be my guest

g&f doesn't have any say in city laws or their enforcement

you need to call the city attorney's office as they will most likely be the ones prosecuting you at your hearing - if cited

That seems a little weird that they said you would be fined. If you aren't out hunting then technically that is a violation of Shannon's Law (ARS 13-3107), which makes discharging a firearm within city limits a Class 6 Felony. I'm also confused by their response, given that Chapter 13 - Section 13-41 of the Peoria City Code states in various ways that you CAN discharge a firearm within city limits if you are hunting in specific areas deemed permissible by the AZGFD AND those areas are approved by the Chief of Police. I'd be curious as to what law outright prohibits it in Peoria.

I'm just passing on what I was told by attorneys office - I guess I need to contact the police chief and see what he says as he'll be sending out the officers to cite possible violators .

they did also post - no off road vehicles - which means no leaving the paved road , according to the attorneys office

not meaning to sound like I'm right but that's the info given to me