Sign in to follow this  
105Coues

Blind advice?

I am looking at buying a ground blind and have never used one. Any opinions or advice would be helpful. THX

Many say to get the Double Bull Matrix and don't look back. Look for one with a material that does not have a sheen like polyester, has a dark interior, and is taut so it does not flap in the breeze.

RR

I own the Double Bull but I also have hunted out of the Ameristep Brickhouse. You will pay $400 for mine and you could get 2 of the Brickhouse for that same price. If you want to hunt with a partner and want easy setup time and flawless design then go with the DB. I will continue to hunt from a brickhouse for a backup and they are worth the low price you pay. Black and grey cargo blankets from Harbor Freights makes a comfortable ground cloth for your blind or use outdoor carpet. The DB allows you to put a full size army cot for spending the night as well. I always brush mine up a little and have had good success and COMFORTABLE outings rain or shine.

The double bull is the cats meow., but very expensive. I have an eastman's h2 that I paid under $100 for. This blind is huge(84x88x720. You can not pack it far. The case is about 12' in diameter and 5' tall. It has a large shooting window and two hunters a cooler and a dog could sit in it comfortably. Draw backs are that the material is too shiny and noisy when compared with the double bull. Due to this, I will probably have to brush it in more and set it back a little farther then I would have with the DB matrix, but I could buy 4 or 5 of these for the price of a matrix db. I found a web sight that is selling these for 69.70.Believe me, that is less then the cost of materials. You should consider this blind as an option.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=277177

I have used DB's and Ameristeps. I had both setup on an antelope hunt, and have killed 2 'lopes out of DB's. I dont like the Ameristeps because of;

1) bulkiness

2) sheen

3) setup and tear down time

Also, stay away from the blinds that have the leafy camo on the edges. It makes a buzzing sound in the wind, and animals wont come near it.

You can find DB's at Cabelas in the Bargain Cave for cheaper.

Double bull matrix. I have had several animals walk right up to the blind without noticing me. I can get a little heavy if you carry it for more than a mile, but it worth it. David

The one I use most is the ameristep with the leafy edges and have had great success with em.

I have had turkey within 2 feet and a couple of coues within 10 feet and many other critters real close.

Just make sure whatever you buy is blacked out inside and has silent slide windows (for us mechanical shooters).

My ameristep does have a small sheen to it but it has not hampered my succes with it. I do like the DB for the pattern and

how roomy it is.

My .02