Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Kuiu rain gear

Who's using this stuff? I'm headed out next month hoping like heck to pop my elk cherry on late bull. Everything I have for clothing is decent in the cold or heat but I've got pretty much nothing for the rain other than fishing stuff. I'm looking really hard at the Kuiu Chugach rain jacket and Attack pant. How quiet is this stuff both in moving through the brush and with the sound of rain hitting the fabric itself? Stuff's a little pricey and I don't want the hassle of buying then returning it if it sucks. Actually, relative to a lot of other stuff out there it's pretty reasonably priced but that's like saying the Porsche is reasonable compared with an Aston Martin.

Experiences?

Kuiu raingear is excellent. But it IS raingear and is not silent. Having said that, I've yet to see any raingear that was high end AND quiet.

Bottom line, its about as noisy as most raingear, but I doubt you'll want to return it.

I have the Kuiu and it is great stuff. Satin the rain for quite a while during the Jr deer hunt.

How does this stuff compare to First Lite? Both are on my radar.

I'll take a look at Helly Hanson also, thanks Eric.

Appreciate all the responses. I finished picking up a few Kuiu items including the Chugach rain jacket. It really boiled down to who had what available in the sizes I needed. It's too late in the season for me to have started doing this but my fishing trips pretty much sucked up all my income earlier. Kuiu had more of what I was looking for and I got REALLY lucky on the rain jacket late last night.

First Lite would've been fine also but they're sold out of everything in my size. I'm also not about to walk out of the house looking like a transient who rummaged through the dumpster behind Bass Pro. Mismatched or cobbled together clothing may be ok for some but I'm not wired that way. Maybe I need to work on my vanity...

its not quiet at all. but it will keep you dry. if you have the hood on, forget about hearing anything other than yourself.

I have the rain gear and use it to sit out a storm, you will not sneak up on anything in it.

Been wearing the Chugach jacket at work for the last couple days and it is really comfortable. I'm sure snooping around in the brush it'll sound like I'm wearing a plastic bag but its impressively versatile in varying temps. I can see using this thing as kind of an all around shell with the right layers underneath. I'm headed out mon morning very early and will see how it does in the cold. Also gonna pick up a fleece mid layer next week.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. The stuff's expensive but its a little easier to handle when I feel like I"m spending my money right the first time.