thunderbolt

chevy gas milage question

Hi Guys, I just purchased a 99 chevy silverado 6.0, 3/4 ton and i have my gas milage in the 12 to 13 miles per gallon range. My question is, will putting a flowmaster muffler on and finishing the duel exhaust, Putting a cold air intake, and using a power programmer add gas milage along with the throttle response. I'm really looking for a gain in gas milage. I knew what type of milage i was gonna get but i still want to increase my milage. A friend of mine said it helped his milage with a gain of 5-6 miles per gallon. What do you guys think????? Jerry

Jerry...

There are a TON of variables... From what it sounds like your rig will be more efficient at highway speeds but your truck is going to be more responsive so it is going to be alot of fun to stick your foot in it.. B) B) With all those additions it will eat fuel alot faster... Personally, I think tires make a HUGE difference...

I added all the goodies that you mentioned on my 05 Diesel and it did improve things if I drive like an old man... BUT if I stand on it... WATCH OUT, it sucks down the fuel...

j

I had a 2002 that had the same motor and tried all kinds of different add ons to get the gas mileage better. I honesting don't think it improves much. Take into consideration how much money you are going to spend on the exhaust, intake, programmer. It would probably take three years to spend that in gas. I really doubt he gained 5-6 miles more. The 6.0 engines just like to suck the gas. Mine never saw more than 11.5 mpg and only got about 6-7 when pulling my fifth wheel. I finally got rid of mine and bought a diesel. David

I have an 06 desel and did prgramer, exhaust, intake, and still only get 15-16 when i drive it like a man. But i have heard others geting 20 or so. What does anybody else out there get out of there duramax

I have no experience w/ these "performance chips", but I've screwed around with enough racing bike motors to tell you that you never gain performance without sacrificing something else. From what I hear, a lot of newer vehicles are set from the factory to run on the lean side to keep the EPA happy, so if this chip is simply richening the mix, you'd expect to see better performance for the same fuel economy, but you'd also probably see your emissions go up. I can tell you from experience that switching a 600cc supersport bike over to a free flowing exhaust system eliminates a ton of back pressure that increases the volumetric efficiency of the motor allowing you to stuff a much heavier fuel charge through it, but the "around town" fuel economy always dropped by more than 20%. Sure are a lot more fun to ride that way though! Good luck keepin the front down. I've yet to know someone who actually dynoed anything and found that they made a gain in HP & fuel economy with one modification. It is possible that the chip remaps the ignition & injection timing to alter the hp curve so that it puts out bigger numbers on the bottom end, thus making the "seat-of-the-pants" dynomometer feel better, while actually losing performance off the top. As I said, it's always a trade. If you gain in one place, you'll lose some where else.

I have an 06 desel and did prgramer, exhaust, intake, and still only get 15-16 when i drive it like a man. But i have heard others geting 20 or so. What does anybody else out there get out of there duramax

My 06 duramax gets 16-17 in town and right at 20-21 on the highway when it had the factory tires on it.

I just changed over to a 285 tire and have not yet checked it yet.

I THINK THE BEST WAY TO GET GOOD MILEAGE OUT OF A 3/4 TON IS TO GO DIESEL. Chevy's have never gotten good gas mileage IMO. I do know that cold air intakes will get 2-4 mpg increase, power programmers will get you tons of power. The only problem is you then have to keep your foot outta the throttle or you will not gain in mpg. It is hard to do, especially when the power is there.

my duramax gets any where from 17-20 mpg when i'm driving it around town and about 12 mpg when towing a 6000 lb boat and trailer,but thats also doing about 80-85 mph down the freeway :lol:

I forgot to add i have a 6" lift and 35's. But still i was hoping for btter than 16 mpg. O well next time i"ll buy a dodge.

I forgot to add i have a 6" lift and 35's. But still i was hoping for btter than 16 mpg. O well next time i"ll buy a dodge.

DODGE --06's get horrible mileage. I know of 6 people with the o6 dog and they all told me the same exact thing.

mileage sucks. They are not like the older dodge deisels that got 21.

My neighbor has finally gotten 14mpg after 50,000 miles. I know for a fact that my bro-inlaws 06 gets 15 and thats

with exhaust and a chip.

I read something on CNN saying that those dodge trucks were the most un-green vehicle... I am getting over 22mpg in my duramax

j

Nissan Titan, 4x4 4 door and I'm getting right about 15-16 stock.