Sign in to follow this  
dvl4lf

Got a double opening day! Happy Halloween!

Last weekend was one of those memorable hunts that will always stay with you. Unit 32 has been good to us over the past couple of years and this year was even better. My dad and I were able to spend another few days hunting together. For those of you who have the opportunity to hunt w/ your aging fathers, you know that their time of hiking/packing/hunting hard, is dwindling. This guy ALWAYS gets it done, given the chance. In all of my 35+ yrs of hunting along side of him, I don't think I ever recall him NOT hitting his mark. He's an outdoor guy that lives to hunt and hunts to live. He works hard and doesn't get a lot of time in the field, but when he does he makes it count.

We were able to get up to the unit about 4:30am on Thurs. and sleep in the car for about an hour before unloading the quads to do a little scouting. We got word from some hunters who were on their last day of a coues hunt, that the previous weekend a bachelor herd of (3) mulies (3-pt and 2 forks) were handing out in this one area. It happened to be an area that we were going to scout anyway, so it gave us some confidence. I was a little stressed not being able to scout until the day before the hunt, having spent most of my scouting time, on my (2) girls youth hunt. Long story short, we glassed up this heard opening morning about 7:15am at about 300 yds, walking away from us over a ridge. They saw us and didn't bolt, but started walking at a good clip. We figured a way to get past the next few ridges and cut them off about 1/2 mile away. We were able to put a sweet stalk on them and sneak up on them to about 100 yrds in a cross-canyon shot. My dad and I both squeezed off rounds about the same time and were blessed to harvest these great looking bucks! (great for us anyway) We were blessed to be in the right place at the right time. Even made it home in time for Halloween and w/ some decorations!

post-12287-0-84237500-1446845910_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-72190700-1446845961_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-96430900-1446846113_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-20084900-1446846194_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-06696600-1446846237_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-57487700-1446846240_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats on you and your dad getting it done! Love the halloween decorations haha.

Congrats on the successful 2015 deer hunt! Great pics of your dad, reminds me of the days I had with my pops. Sure miss him. Kudos!

Sweet! I know exactly what you're saying about hunting with your father and can relate. Congratulations to you both!!