capoeirajosh

GPS recommendations

Cabelas had the Rino 650 last week for 329.99 have never seen it that low anywhere hopefully it will drop again ... Now they have the 64st for 279.99 which is a real good deal on a solid GPS

• Like 2

I have the older Rino's and they are great but I need to upgrade. I also have a delorme InReach for text communication in remote areas which I highly recommend to anyone going to Mexico or hunting on the res with know service.

What is everyone's biggest reason for using a standalone GPS over your Smartphone with a screen 2x-3x the size and resolution? Is it just battery life?

I have found carrying a small backup battery and my phone probably still weighs less than a standalone. Also, using the GLO the actual GPS last's days without a recharge and it seamlessly switches from the iPhone to the iPad when I get to the truck.

Probably some good reasons just curious.

I'm a huge fan of the Garmin GPSMap 60csx. Fantastic GPS unit, great battery life, fast satellite acquisition, nothing I don't like about these. My son has the Oregon and battery life is terrible.

Exactly this ^^^

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Leaning towards the 64st or the 60csx!

Maybe, I will be able to snag one on Black Friday somewhere!