scrothers

New Coues Hunter / Fort Huachuca

Hello everyone,

I just got stationed at Fort Huachuca a couple months ago and was able to draw a left-over tag for the Nov20-29 rifle season on the post. I was curious if anyone on here has hunted Fort Huachuca and is willing to dish out some good tips for the area. Any help would be appreciated. I've hunted deer in the midwest plenty but hunting out west is new to me.

Awesome site and forum. I'm sure glad I found it, has been a huge help.

Thanks again,

Sam

The good news is that is a great place for a first time hunter. There are literally deer all over the place. It will be a great place to learn western hunting. Tips will be the same for any other unit with similar terrain. Get the best optics you can afford, get on a high spot and let your eyes do the walking. It may seem difficult at first to spot them but once you pick up a deer, your brain will have a reference and you will find them easier.

The downside to hunting the base is areas will open and close at random for training and your honey hole might get locked down the week you want to hunt.

Good luck and post up some pics from your adventures.

Hi Sam. It's going to be a tough year on the fort because of the closing of the T 1, 2 and 3 units. Those areas were very popular with the hunters who will now be going to other areas. I like the southern area and find an abundance of deer once I hike in off the fire breaks. Plenty of ROAD hunters driving the fire breaks so pick a canyon away from them as far as you can, hike to a high spot before your season starts, mark it with your GPS and go there in the dark opening morning. Start glassing and watching the area for any movement. I have seen some great deer movement in some of the worst weather so don't let the weather move you back inside. On windy days I like to put the wind in my face and very slowly sneak hunt along the side of the ridges in the thick timber. Most hunters don't move more than 100 yards from their truck so your biggest competition will be the mountain lions. Getting high, watching and glassing for movement is the best answer.

Sam,

As said, there are quite a few good places to hunt on the fort. Have you found an area that seems good while scouting? What gun are you using? And what binos do you have?

Matt

Thanks everyone for the input,

Rancilio, we've looked in Areas Q, P, and O and have seen a decent amount of does and some spike bucks. But because of work we haven't been able to venture too far in. I'll be using a .308 and I'm glassing with 10x42 Leupolds.

Sam

I shot my first and only coues in "Y". Seemed kinda flat but there were a lot of deer in there. It's kinda tough to glass, I just got lucky on my buck. That's a fun place to hunt. From the sound of all the emails I get from them they're making it next to impossible to hunt so I'm guessing the trophy quality will get better there.

Thanks everyone for the input,

Rancilio, we've looked in Areas Q, P, and O and have seen a decent amount of does and some spike bucks. But because of work we haven't been able to venture too far in. I'll be using a .308 and I'm glassing with 10x42 Leupolds.

Sam

Also R, M. They will cross the Canelo Rd into the flats just at the turn of dusk and down.