Sign in to follow this  
lamrith

"The draw" help a new non resident hunter out

Well I struck out on my 1st AZ hunt (Oct 34A Coues) but had a blast and it was great to hunt with family. I am already thinking and planning for next year.

So, Family are Modern hunters, they put in for bull but Cow backup choices. They have not ever dealt with how a non resident might affect the draw. For the deer hunt I was 3rd person on the application. The big question is how if at all will me being a non resident on their application affect chances for draw? Last year they did not get drawn at all, and the last thing I want to do is hurt their chances at being drawn this year, but I also want to join them for an Elk hunt. If they get drawn, but there are no more non resident tags left do we all get denied, or just bump down to our next choice? That is the risk I could see happening, and since they did not get drawn last year, even residents do not get drawn due to demand...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I believe you are all counted as non residents when one non resident is on the app.

BTW, nobody here will know what you mean when you say you hunt modern. People here just call it the general rifle.

I lived in Washington. Shot a blacktail up there, those things are hard to hunt.

Was just about to ask what a modern hunter was haha figured you were talking about hunters that use all the new technology to hunt. But yes coues fanatic is correct everyone is treated as a NR so you basically have no chance of drawing any decent tags with low points.

• Like 1

There is no distinction between a resident and non resident in the draw process until the party leaders number is pulled. At that time the computer will look to fill all the party's tags, resident and non resident. Residents on the app will have their tags pulled from the resident quota, nr tags come from the nr quota. If the computer can't fill one of the tags, the entire party is bounced.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, yeah been looking at WA regs for the last week figuring out late hunt options...

I don't know, Couse deer 34A hunt was tough, we saw nothing with horns after 1st evening.

There is no distinction between a resident and non resident in the draw process until the party leaders number is pulled. At that time the computer will look to fill all the party's tags, resident and non resident. Residents on the app will have their tags pulled from the resident quota, nr tags come from the nr quota. If the computer can't fill one of the tags, the entire party is bounced.

Thank you sir, that is what I was affraid of..

I was incorrect.

The AZ draw system looks at the application as a whole vs the individual(s) on that application. As such, the computer will see a party app with a nr, as a nr app and all tags in the party will have to meet the cap.

• Like 3

Lamrith---

Looks like we are chasing the same strategy!!! I'm starting to put in for elk in AZ too. Mainly just to build points but I've done a lot of research to figure out how to maximize my chances and I think it boils down to a few things.

1. We (non-residents) now have the opportunity to draw tags in the random draw for the top areas when normally the 10% non-resident cap would have been met by the highest point holding non-resident hunters. It sucks for them because now it means more years of them applying to guarantee a tag and up to 5% of the NR can draw without even having any preference points... BUT those tags are fair game to residents also in the overall random draw.

2. For a group application this limits where you can apply-- otherwise you only guarantee yourself a preference point. If you have a party of 4 and all will be considered non-resident then the area and hunt you are applying for must have at least 80 tags available. Meaning no more than 8 tags (10%) will be given to NR... of that 4 are guaranteed to the highest point holders and MAYBE 4 will be allocated in the random draw to non-residents, but the residents can draw those tags as well. You have to win the lottery to have your application drawn while ALL 4 non-resident random draw tags are available. If you are drawn and the NR quota is reached or there isn't enough tags for everyone on the app (ie- there were only 2 tags for NR left) then you get passed over and get a point for that year.

3. This means that the quality hunts in specific units you are looking for might be impossible from the get go, and you will technically have better odds applying in smaller groups as non-residents and this will open the aperture of hunts to apply for.

Lemme know what yall end up doing!! We are going to start swinging for the fences this year by applying for only one unit/hunt and then we get a pref point otherwise. In the event we hit the elk powerball then we will drop everything else for that season and get to business on the hunt of lifetime. Otherwise we wait and wait.

The new rule is "up to" 50% of the nr quota in the Bonus Pass. It's not a hard limit. There will be hunts that have less than 5% drawn in the Bonus pass and the remainder will be available in the 1-2 Pass.

If there is a single nr tag available it cannot be drawn in the Bonus Pass.