Sign in to follow this  
FOGGER

Velocity question

Powder charge of H4831SC? Load density?

Primers?

COAL/to ogive?

Maybe shoot through two chronos at the same time?

Can you get a hold of any H4350?

Looks like your velocity is real close at the top end. The bottom end looks like a low-middle load. 150 ES is huge.

Rifle make? Barrel make, length, twist? Chambered by?

Help us, help you. More info please.

Happens every time I've tested it.

45.5 of 4831SC

WLR primers

My COAL is 2.950 (My chamber and throat were machined to the specs of a loaded round to allow for the long 140grn bullets to be seated long)

I have some H4350 but my groups were so good I didn't experiment with it much.

Remington 700LA. Completely gone through and blueprinted by Bob Brackney.

Bartlein 1-8twist 25"

All work done by Bob Brackney.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great rifle set up, load, etc. You sound like you know what you are doing too. I am leaning towards Chrono error. Muzzle brake? Distance to chrono?

I would beg/borrow another one from someone, and put them in line as close as possible and shoot through both to see if they are comparable, and consistent.

No brake, 10ft

I usually shoot at Ben Avery

Thanks guys for all the help!!!

Next time you are heading out to Ben Avery (after elk season of course), PM me and I will bring my Chrono to verify with yours.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with several calibers. Was using Fed 215M primers. Switched to WLRM primers and the muzzle velocities were a lot more consistent. The chrono could be the problem, but if you get consistent velocities with another load or rifle, the chrono likely is OK. I use both Magnetospeed and an Oehler 35. I can recommend the Magnetospeed highly. Only potential downside is the attachment to the barrel influencing the harmonics and point of impact. More likely with a thin long barrel. Be sure to check the bayo between each shot and be sure it is tight. Works well with both copper jacketed lead core or solid copper bullets.

Had another thought. You could buy a box of some high quality factory ammo and compare it to you loads for muzzle velocity consistency.

I had a Pro Chrono do the same thing to me. When I got my magnetospeed I was only 10fps ES and on the Pro Chrono I was 80 fps. I actually threw mine away. LOL. Shoot at long range 500 and see if you have any vertical disbursement.

• Like 1