Sign in to follow this  
andyk_14

Spooked buck advice.

Im looking for some advice on a buck we spooked yesterday. While hunting and switching stands yesterday afternoon my wife and I spooked a buck (No idea exactly how big my best guess is 6-8 points) in a new area I scouted this year. She can only hunt tomorrow and next weekend due to work. The buck didn't seem too spooked (more of a bounding away than an all out spook and run) I was able to stop him for a few second with a quick snort but she couldn't get the shot. My question is should I return to that spot tomorrow or wait till next weekend or count it as a missed opportunity and try again next year and finish this year at another location. Both locations I haven't even seen signs of other hunters anywhere close. She was very upset she didn't get a shot on him as this is her first year with a tag. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Its worth a try. This year I shot at a decent buck and missed him while I spooked him and he was running. Went back the following morning and he about 500 yards from where I'd shot at him the day before.

• Like 1

Im sure it has been seen and hunted before im not that naive (good luck finding a place never been hunted before), but there are definitely no signs of anyone being there at least recently.

You are right Pine, I guess bounded wasn't exactly the best choice of words there he just didn't seem like he was in too big of a hurry to get out of the area. I didnt see any muleys out there, but Im hoping to get my first with a bow when the season opens back up.

Chances are he is going to leave the area soon anyway in search of love. You might have just made him move out a little sooner. Another buck might move into the same area though or more than likely there are others already there.

Thanks for the short notice advice, hopefully I will be posting some pictures of her first deer soon!

I shot my buck this year when he was with 2 other bucks. The other 2 ran up and over the hill. That even we went looking for them but found a bigger one but my brother couldn't get the shot off in time. We went looking for him the next morning but he double back and my other hunting buddy and his dad chased him around. We decided to stay in same canyon and spooked those first 2 bucks that ran off the first morning. We lost them. They only ran up and over 100 yards from where I shot his buddy at. ( grant it they were young bucks ) That evening we went back to where we saw the big buck at but I glassed up a little 3x3 and my hunting buddy shot off 3 rounds. It was getting dark and we weren't sure he hit it. We went up there and it ran off. But it didn't go up and over. So we went there the next morning to see if it was still there. Yep still there and he finally landed a shot at 260 yards. So to answer your question Yessss go back they will stay in the general area.

What's your stand on? Water? "Salt"? A game trail?

Our stand is on water with a lot of scrub oak around.

What's your stand on? Water? "Salt"? A game trail?

Our stand is on water with a lot of scrub oak around.
they'll be back then, maybe not today or tomorrow....but they'll be back