joelpresmyk8

Bergers FAILED me horribly

Ive killed two bulls with the 180 grain hornady BTSP's one was at 50 and the other a little over 300 out of my 300 win mag, shot each one 3 times and found two bullets out of each one, perfect mushrooms. Might be one to try

I don't have "CONCERNS" I think that Lark is trying to tell you the facts, that all this screwing around with different bullets is like looking for a solution for a problem when there isn't any problem. Spinning your wheels, barking up the wrong tree, ping into the wind, the law of unintended consequences!!! So you will protect yourself and children from lead but are driving around in a car/truck? Oh no maybe I have lead poisoning. :rolleyes:

I know I am late to this party, but this thread seems a little like the "Taste Great"& "Less Filling" beer ads from a few years back. I could be wrong here, but the context of our arguments should not be which bullet has the most consistent expansion, but rather which bullet designed for long range shooting has the best terminal performance. I can list a lot of good, reliable bullets that mushroom consistently. Sadly, most of them have BC's that suck. Their margin for error is nearly double that of bullets that are designed to retain speed and deflect wind.

When we shoot long distance (800-1200 yards), we often have to sacrifice one thing to get something else. We want a high BC bullet that will cut through the wind and maintain speed. We want it to be tough and give us deep penetration for that 200 yd shot, but then also be fragile enough to expand at 1,800 fps at 600 to 800 yds. down range. The search for the Holy Grail continues... That is the reason Nosler came out with their long range accubond. The regular AB's need at least 1,800 fps to expand, but the LRAB's were designed to expand as low as 1,400 to 1,600 fps. Same expansion, but at longer distances. Nosler markets the LRAB as giving hunters another 100 - 200 yds of down range performance due largely to retained velocity. In other words, doing something that Berger already does,

When shooting long distance, you have to know what your bullet is capable of, as well as the required ballistics to get it there. Bergers need at least 1,800 fps to have any hope of expanding. If your speed down range is marginal, then hitting bone will help start them. But hitting bone with a Berger at high velocity (100-300 yds) will most likely result in the bullet exploding with minimal penetration.

With my rigs, I am split right down the middle between Accubonds and Bergers. The AB's give me better expansion at all ranges, but my margin for error at distance increases because of their lower bc's. I have to be a little more careful with shot placement when using Bergers, but my confidence is higher with them in some of my rifles. I get small, accurate groups and better margin for error when doping the wind. As a general rule, I find my confidence is higher when taking the long distance shot due to the smaller wind deflection. Keep the Bergers above 2,000 fps at the target and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Like 1