joelpresmyk8

Bergers FAILED me horribly

Why would you even think about using a bullet that is point of impact sensitive? Use a good heavy jacketed spitzer that couldn't care less what it hits, and shoot it as fast as you can. Works every time. I'm a real good shot. But even me with my superior marksmanship can't either hit a rib or shoot between em, depending on what kinda bullet I'm shooting. Lark.

• Like 1

Why would you even think about using a bullet that is point of impact sensitive? Use a good heavy jacketed spitzer that couldn't care less what it hits, and shoot it as fast as you can. Works every time. I'm a real good shot. But even me with my superior marksmanship can't either hit a rib or shoot between em, depending on what kinda bullet I'm shooting. Lark.

Any bullet has a limitation (speed) at which it will expand. No matter it's type or speed you launch it at. It will become less effective as it reaches a certain range (has slowed down enough). It is likely that he is approaching or at that threshold for his set up, given the repeated results he experienced.

The questions about point of impact are just to understand the situation better. The pictures of his recovered bullets would tell different stories depending on what they hit. Guts vs bone.

Here is a slug i pulled out of an elk this weekend. Shot was similar distance (650 yards). Bullet entered behind the shoulder and was under the skin in front of the opposite hip. Probably retained 70% of the weight. The main reason i don't shoot bergers is because to load them long enough to shoot good, my rifles would have to be single shots. The bullet recovered was a 285gn A-max. Not really fair comparing that to a 180gn shot from an '06, but that is exactly how i like bullets to perform. I want them to leave all that energy in the animal and expand while holding a good percentage of weight

post-63-0-75960000-1449161919_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm not really too familiar with A-Max but I hear they compete side by side with accuracy against the Berger. But refresh my memory I thought A-Max were just target rounds but everybody uses them because they mushroom up so well . I seen pictures on another site awhile ago showing the amax devastation shots from 300 to 600 yards. Looks like they perform great. About to load some 210 Bergers but this thread and my buddy 30-378 did the same thing on his last 2 elk hunts. So he switched to serria. I know I'm hijacking the thread but with any more info on the Amax that would be awesome

I love a 210 berger out of my 300 ultra. If you hit any animal in the correct spot it will be devastating. I think the only downside is that since it dumps all the energy into the animal it doesn't leave a very good blood trail. Which is usually a moot point since the animals die in their tracks.

• Like 2

^^^Same here. My son shot a coues buck last year and a mule buck this year with my 300 RUM shooting 210 Bergers. One was 330 yards, the other was 342 yards. Both were bedded when he shot, neither left the bed.

I love a 210 berger out of my 300 ultra. If you hit any animal in the correct spot it will be devastating. I think the only downside is that since it dumps all the energy into the animal it doesn't leave a very good blood trail. Which is usually a moot point since the animals die in their tracks.[/quote

Meaning the amax dumps it's Energy and doesn't leave the blood trail or did you mean the Bergers??

Both do actually..I do not have personal experience with the Amax but many many with the Berger. My buddy's who shoot the Amax say the same thing about blood trails..

The A Max is a rapid expanding hunting bullet but they have a high BC, comparable to a berger. I was a little skeptical on shooting an elk with them, but as you can see they worked exceptionally well. I would not recommend shooting an amax under about 190gns at an elk, but they work great on deer with any grain. I shot a coues with the same bullet this year at 500. It was a little messy and i probably won't do it again. I like the idea of tipped hunting bullets because of reliable expansion. Only downfall I have notices is the tips of the extra rounds in my magazine get deformed by recoil. I have shot the deformed ones downrange to see if it affects accuracy and the difference is minimal

• Like 1

My .300RUM has shot 3 animals with the 210 HVLD this week. Two coyotes and a bull elk. First coyote at about 100 yards, and there were pieces of him 40+' behind him, and 8' up in a tree. Football size exit. Second coyote at 300-310 yards. Entered just a touch low, and coyote ran about 100 yards. Baseball size exit, with absolutely no heart remaining inside the body cavity.

Elk was shot at 214 yards, shot was too far back, about 6" behind last rib, elk was slightly quartering away. Exit was about 2" across, we would find out liver was liquified. Elk hunched and started walking slowly away when second round Texas heart shot was fired. Elk dropped like a sack of hammers. Shattered hip join the and pelvis, and continued on into vitals. We gutless methodEd the elk, so no bullet recovered. I am pleased with the performance.

• Like 3

My cow elk went down last night. 257 weatherby mag shooting 115gr Berger VLDs. About 150 yard shot I am guessing. First round was good double lung. She ran about 40 yards and turned back to look and I stuck another one in quartering away. She went a couple feet and dropped. The 2nd round I imagine was logged in the far. Side front leg.

Another guy in my group stuck 1 last night too. 165gr Bergers out of a 300 win mag at 350 yards. 1 shot she went about 60 yards and piled up behind a bush.

None of the 3 rounds exited and he said the blood trail on his was non existent. Mine didn't need 1 as I saw he hit the ground.

Harley

I shoot a 215 grain Berger Hybrid out of a 300 WinMag. In the last 2 years that rifle and bullet combo has killed 3 bull elk, 2 mule deer, a bear, and 5 coues deer. Each animal was quickly recovered within 20 yards. ( half were dead on the spot kills).

Here is a pic of the most recent exit hole from the 215 Berger. A mule deer at 720 yards. The shot was quartering away so the exit hole was a bit far back. None the less the deer went about 20 yards and expired.

Armand

post-5062-0-27453000-1451432153_thumb.jpg

• Like 1