Sign in to follow this  
100grains

Any Advice for a New Guy

Hey all this is my first year seriously bowhunting deer although I've been in the outdoors hunting for my entire life. Having spent hours on google earth I've located tons of good tanks, but only had time to scout a different area which only revealed a couple does coming by in a week. My bow is fairly quiet and I'm willing to sit all day on a trail or water; or try a spot and stalk. Which would be more productive for a relatively unseasoned person to do? Is there anything else that I'm missing? Any tips for my first coues hunt?

Thank you

If youre going to sit ambushes, sit all day for several days in the same spot. Ive seen nothing but squirrels and birds for two days in a row and then on the third day had so many deer around that I was afraid even to stretch or blink for that matter. Most people that ambush hunt give up too soon and sing the 'i just dont have the patience to hunt that way' song so then they start wandering around aimlessly and go home with tag soup.

If you're going to spot and stalk, make sure you dont get lost. Ive been guilty of sneaking up on the wrong juniper or cactus more than once. Now I use my compass and rangefinder to set a way point and measure myself in. Helps a lot. Also, so.e may argue, bug I dont like the boot covers, I ditch my boots at about 100-200 yards out and put on a second set of wool socks. That way you can feel the ground and it forces you to slow down. I cant feel anything with boot covers and still end up moving too fasr and making too much noise.

Most importantly though, leave the tape measure in you tool box and just shoot a deer. Have fun and good luck!

• Like 4

I appreciate all of the advice thank you guys. Anything that I am able to take with a bow I consider a trophy, and I look forward to the next opportunity!

ethics; Im in southern Phoenix but I'd be happy to see some new country!

oneshot; thats an excellent point you make about the water, but what if they use several different trails to approach the tank? Would it then be best to wait on the water, or just take the chances on one of the trails?

Water can be super productive during dry spells, but that can change in a hurry after a rain.

I usually hole up in saddles or basins that have good trails, somewhere on top of a nasty steep ridge line. Areas close to bedding cover where they can feed, lay down & meander around doing rutty stuff.

When you get set in your blind and/or tree stand, practice drawing back and holding your draw a bit, anticipate where a critter may approach, where they may go. Then, be prepared for none of it to play out the way you imagined!

• Like 2

At this point you'll get more by not over thinking it and just go hunt. You have enough info to start. Once you find animals you'll learn lots by watching them. Sit and glass.

If youre going to sit ambushes, sit all day for several days in the same spot. Ive seen nothing but squirrels and birds for two days in a row and then on the third day had so many deer around that I was afraid even to stretch or blink for that matter. Most people that ambush hunt give up too soon and sing the 'i just dont have the patience to hunt that way' song so then they start wandering around aimlessly and go home with tag soup.

If you're going to spot and stalk, make sure you dont get lost. Ive been guilty of sneaking up on the wrong juniper or cactus more than once. Now I use my compass and rangefinder to set a way point and measure myself in. Helps a lot. Also, so.e may argue, bug I dont like the boot covers, I ditch my boots at about 100-200 yards out and put on a second set of wool socks. That way you can feel the ground and it forces you to slow down. I cant feel anything with boot covers and still end up moving too fasr and making too much noise.

Most importantly though, leave the tape measure in you tool box and just shoot a deer. Have fun and good luck!

You get me fired up to do some sittin

You get me fired up to do some sittin

You sassy little tramp, you.... :P

Coues come to water like paranoid crack heads looking out for the po po. My opinion is water is best under very dry conditions for coues. Even watching them through glass at long distance, their behavior completely changes as the get close to water on their approach. Once I watched a doe come all the way down the mountain, stand alert a 100 yards, finally bed down and wait for another deer to use the water hole. She immediately got up and came to water. Now that was cool and undeniable what she had done.

I agree with oneshot, but I myself still sit the water from opposite side I think they will come in so the closet they will ever come is equal to my preferred shot distance.

if you sit water build your blind about 40 yds or so away, I tuck under trees

wait until they have their head down taking a drink to draw

• Like 1