Sign in to follow this  
cwnova

Worth buying a pellet gun or hold out for a shotgun?

If you only plan on dove & quail, rabbit/squirrel, a 20ga. will be fine. If you ever plan on adding duck/goose/turkey/coyotes/bobcat to the list, go for the 12ga. A 20ga. will get a duck/goose/turkey, but the 12ga. is much better for the bigger birds with a 3" magnum shell, more shot, and bigger payload. Some even shoot a 3 1/2" shell. I have never need that for duck/goose/turkey, but nice to have for the late season high fliers when using steel shot. You can get reduced light target loads for the 12ga. that are equal to a 20ga. if you plan on a LOT of shooting too.

Also don't rule out the pawn shops or the used gun rack at the gun stores. About 20 years ago I got an Ithaca Mod. 51 Featherlight with a 28" vent rib barrel in excellent condition for $150 out the door. It is good for upland birds and rabbits/squirrels but not for waterfowl or turkey.

I love my Mossberg 500 12ga. Picked it up new for $330 and came with a 28" barrel for hunting and 18.5" for home protection. Also love the Rem 870 Youth 20ga I picked up used from a CWT member for $200.

Can't go wrong with an 870. Tons of aftermarket too. Steel reciever, built for the long haul. IMO, everybody should own one. You can acquire a fine O/U later in life (I think everyone should have an O/U too!)