Sign in to follow this  
reddog

Trail Cams

I'm looking into getting a Cam in the next couple of weeks. I think there are some people on here that make "Homebrew Cams" And I was hoping that some one could point me in the right direction.

Also if not home brew what type of Cam do you guys use?

Thanks

REDDOG

Building a cam is the only way to go! If you get really ambitious you could build one in the next couple of weeks......very ambitious. The best camera ever to use for homemade cams is no longer in production and prices have sky rocketed. A good place to start would be here: www.hagshouse.com I used to make cameras but got to busy with my real job and got tired of everybody pissing and moaning about how expensive they were. You can build one for about $250-$300.....and everyone will tell you that you are crazy for hanging a $250-300 camera on a tree in the woods.....and maybe we are.....but we get better pics and more pics than any store bought camera.

Best of luck

Scott

I like the Pixcontroller boards. I've been able to make a couple for about $200 -$225 depending on how much you spend on the camera. I like to use the Sony P32's. You can buy them used on ebay for about $80. There are very good instructions on the website as well. Good luck and don't be surprised if you get hooked!!!

We have been using the $70 Wildview from Sportsmans WH...... But I just started using the new Moultrie $99 unit, and REALLY like it. However.... both units require modifying to make them "lockable".... but still cheaper than "home brew" cams.....and weather proof.

Here is a pic of the "bear box" that I built for my Moultrie.... it took me about an hour to build.

post-996-1184902392.jpg

TAM, how does the p32 compare to the p41? I've got a p41 and an s600 both running on pix universals and much prefer the p41 but I'm sure you know how hard they are to get for a reasonable price. Obviosly the p32 is 3.2 mp vs. 4.1 but that doesn't matter to me. How is the flash and speed from trigger to picture?

Kevin

Kevin,

the p32 is a great camera.....slower than the P41 but still fast. The flash is nearly the same as the P41.

Scott

Coues "n" Sheep

One question on the Moultrie option is the trigger speed. I have read that they are slow, I assume that you are happy with the speed of the trigger or you would not reccomened it.

Reddog

The trigger speed may be slower on the moultrie $99 and wild view $67 versus some of the other higher end cams but

we have had no problems with getting full bodied pics of the elk and have had only one that got half the body of a muley.

We do use some fence crossings to get the critters to stop and not to just blaze right by our cameras which seems to help out quite a bit.

Coues "n" Sheep

One question on the Moultrie option is the trigger speed. I have read that they are slow, I assume that you are happy with the speed of the trigger or you would not reccomened it.

Reddog

I have found that the slower trigger is ok with elk, but can be a disadvantage on deer.... But I am not willing to put a 300 or 400 dollar cam in the woods to get stollen just to get one or two more pics.....IMO.... :)

I made cam's for years and two years ago I sold all and started using the wildview cams yes they are slower . camera placement and or somethimg to stop the critters is what you have to think about when setting them up I have gotten some great pic's from these cameras

I am on my 5th Moultrie and one actually works right. I have returned three of them and one of the two I still have I had to pull out of the woods today because it keeps locking up and giving me errors. I was real happy with the first one I bought and it is still the one that works good. All the others have been crap and I could have bought better ones with the money I have spent for gas checking a locked up cam. Good luck with whatever you buy or build and I hope this saves you some grief.

PS If you want to buy a Moultrie, let me know. :lol: They do take good pics but by the tracks I think I am missing alot of pics.

Kevin,

I'm real happy with the p32. As mentioned the trigger is a tad slower and it's got less megapixls, but it works great. I do try to put it in a spot where the animals will stop, but even when they don't I still get mostly full bodies. I just checked one of them today here's a pic.

post-25-1185081495_thumb.jpg

Sorry the camera wasn't alligned very well in the case, but you get the picture (pun intended).

Thanks TAM. For the difference in the money it looks like they might be worth it.

Kevin

I've had really bad luck with the wally-world moultries. The sensor seems to work fine in test mode, but once I set the camera up it takes something REALLY close to trigger the first shot - if in 3 shot mode the other two will trigger out to 90 feed or so.

I made one of the Pixcontroller home-brew cameras and it works really well. I plan on doing another soon. I use the Olympus D360 camera setup so I can use the RS-232 rather than opening up the camera and soldering the connections.

Good luck,

It's a LOT of fun.