Sign in to follow this  
missedagain

BEAR SEASON

The pears are starting to get ripe way down low and there are a few bears down there now . look down where you dont think a bear would be and you might find one

I've been out hard in 24a for the past 2 weekends. Have seen some sign mostly old.....seems they have been eating manzanita and squaw berrries. The scrub oak don't seem to have acorns and the larger full blown oak trees don't have anything on them. I'm heading out to a different unit opening......the bears just arean't in the pears yet. Still to many green ones I guess.

azhuntnut......what unit if you don't mind? :D You don't have to be specific about the area.....as a matter of don't be!

I found 3 bears in the cactus last night right before dark. They are in the cactus if the fruit is ripe where you are looking, if it is not ripe where you are keep driving till you find ripe fruit. I was not in 24A.

Bret M.

Brett,

when speaking about bear behavior and habit you've always seemed to have answers......so here's one for you. Most of the time bears up north grub in the forest or go after the acorns......down south they seem to always be in the thicker manzanita. I've always hunted down south in 24a and 23S and when we've seen them they've been in the pears and they've always been in canyons that offer water, shade and protection via rough rough terrain. Do bears actually hand out down low in the flats where there is primarily mequites? I'm not quite sure where to find them if they arean't in the pears. I've yet to see on in the manzanita, squaw berry patches or the oaks.

thanks in advance for any replies

Coues7

Has anyone used an electric call for bears? How did it work? What types of calles did you use? I want to increase my chances but don't want to do anything stupid.

Brett,

when speaking about bear behavior and habit you've always seemed to have answers......so here's one for you. Most of the time bears up north grub in the forest or go after the acorns......down south they seem to always be in the thicker manzanita. I've always hunted down south in 24a and 23S and when we've seen them they've been in the pears and they've always been in canyons that offer water, shade and protection via rough rough terrain. Do bears actually hand out down low in the flats where there is primarily mequites? I'm not quite sure where to find them if they arean't in the pears. I've yet to see on in the manzanita, squaw berry patches or the oaks.

thanks in advance for any replies

Coues7

I'm not an expert, but I have seen them in the mesquites in years where the pears and acorns are a bust. They eat the mequite beans when all fails, I think.

Guest 300ultramag.

Im pretty sure the sow limit has been reached already for 27.........J/k

Good Luck in 27 I dont really have the $ to drive to that area or I would be there NOW!

Be safe.

That sounds like more 12oz curls!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

It's been known to happen!

Hey missedagain, thats a nice li'l blonde bear you've located.

It's been known to happen!

Hey missedagain, thats a nice li'l blonde bear you've located.

I just wish he had 100lbs and a couple more years under his belt!

Just two more days untill I get to go hunt something :D

You see the thing about bears is they are very mobile and hungry all the time. If there is food and water there might be a bear around whether you are in Yuma or Greer. Yes I have seen them in funny places that is not good "bear country". Mesquite flats and other weird places do not suprise me at all especially if "good bear habitat" is close by (less than 10 miles as the fat bear waddles). As far as bears are concerned as long as they have food and water they are happy I think. If you aren't seeing them in the Manzanita and high stuff look lower. There is a bumper crop of low food this year right now. FWIW I glassed pretty close to where I was last night and found no bears tonight. Bears are where you find them I guess....

Bret M.