Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

news release - chad smith - helicoter chasing antelope update

Chris-excellent quote.

Trophy hunter- welcome to the club

Cj- after you've gone down every avenue of bad excuses there ain't a lot left to say. It's real apparant who's side you're on. Stay there.

I have quite a buncha friends who are outfitters and guides. The only ones I'll associate with are great folks and good sportsmen. Couple of em have giant numbers of clients every year. They also don't get involved with tag grabs, blocking roads, helicopter round ups, chute plane conspiracies, buying off state reps, cutting tires, etc, etc. they toe the line because they're sportsmen and if they do get stupid and get busted, they don't have a billionaire in the shadows to pay the bills. They are small businessmen who have figured out a way to make it in a real narrow, defined niche. They give their clients an excellent opportunity to be successful. They also don't have any $ coming for 6 months out of the year. And the other 6 months they are so busy it has to be a killer. Just the fact that this clown hired a helicopter from Texas for this deal should shoot a lotta flares up for intelligent people. Choppers cost thousands per day. They don't turn the key unless there are big $ involved. Who paid for that? And why? This clown is some rich guy, or guys, toady. Someone with lotsa $ is at the root of this. There is a real need for guides and outfitters. There is no need for the guys lurking in the shadows that think they have preference to wildlife because they have lotsa $. There dam sure ain't a need for guys that are willing to help em out for a few pieces o' silver. Lark

Happy hunting, lark

At least those guides you speak of are learning there is no more glory in their BS. Guys arent impressed anymore when they post all their stories and pictures with 10 guys behind the animal. The rich guys will continue to hire them...good for them. Just hope the trend dies off and hunting in general can return to the traditional family experience it once was and still is for many.

• Like 7

They are guys that like the outdoors. A few have figured out a way to make a good living at it. It can be done, with some dedication and hard work. Ain't no shortcuts to doing anything right. The only regret this chopper guy has is getting caught. Soon as his time is up he will be back at the shortcuts again. And we'll read all about it in the papers. There ain't any reason a guy can't have a great experience in the outdoors. This past couple of months has been one of the best times hunting in my long life. Had an extremely memorable time with my boys and friends. Ain't anyone gonna keep me outta the woods. Guides are necessary and completely groovy to me. If i ever get to go after Yukon moose or Alaska sheep or maybe a Marco polo or something cool, I'll dang sure be calling some outfitters. Folks not from here or who don't have the experience or equipment or whatever that they feel they need should hire a guide. Even out the odds some. Try hard to be successful. The guy still has to get out there and get it done. I still change my own oil, rotate my own tires, wash my own truck, mow my own grass, shoe my own critters, etc. but if something computer goes wrong with my truck, it's headed to the garage. But I ain't gonna take it to anyone I can't trust. Lark

So now, with low risk, I can go hunt any unit, take any game, any time of the year, chase the game to me with a drone, shoot it (silencer) and put meat in the freezer, and rack on the wall. .

What's the worst that can happen, 5 years of no hunting. Sad.

Game & Fish, something needs to change. Do we really have 5 commissioners on a board of leadership, that think that this is okay?

I don't understand where the state is on this. Maybe they will have a hearing later for civil stuff and revoke his Az license for longer? Really have a hard time with no fine. Musta had some really good lawyers. (Is good lawyer an oxymoron) They levied some heavy fines and 3 year license revocations for shooting at the robo deer. I've heard of guys losing their privileges for 5 years and paying heavy fines for stuff I'd consider a lot less aggregious as this. Good question tho. Hard to say. Lark

There is a show on the Sportsman Channel right now featuring.......Vaquero Outfitters.

no shame

I contacted the Sportsman channel and let them know of the situation. Will see if they return the call and/or email. Maybe one or teo of you could take time out of your day to do the same.

I know this is an old post, but I was just looking through my FIL's copy of this month's Western Horseman magazine. The feature article is on the ORO ranch, it mentions that Chad Smith runs the ranch and that he was a hunting guide. Apparently they didn't do a Google search of Chad, or did and didn't care.

• Like 1