Sign in to follow this  
AmericanThunder

Interesting Fly Rod

I first read about Tenkara a year or so ago in a Johh Gierach book. I'm debating on taking some of my Christmas money and buying myself one. I have a buddy in CO who fishes Tenkara and loves it. He's trying to hook me up through a buddy/guide/dealer of his. Temptation is working its way over me...

It probably is a good way to learn the basics. Its always good to go back to the basics!

• Like 1

I have a buddy who uses one and I was able to try it out for some stream fishing this summer, they were really fun, but it was more like cane pole fishing. you have a fixed length of line and leader and you guided the catch either to you or to shore.

it was perfect for a backpack though, very light and fun, but when we left the streams and hit the lakes he couldn't get out far enough like I could with my flyrod.

as far as price, you can get plenty of cheaper starter sets for a lightweight flyrod and reel combo.

• Like 1

I have a buddy who uses one and I was able to try it out for some stream fishing this summer, they were really fun, but it was more like cane pole fishing. you have a fixed length of line and leader and you guided the catch either to you or to shore.

it was perfect for a backpack though, very light and fun, but when we left the streams and hit the lakes he couldn't get out far enough like I could with my flyrod.

as far as price, you can get plenty of cheaper starter sets for a lightweight flyrod and reel combo.

Yep. Tenkara is a small stream rod/style of fishing. It stems from an ancient Japanese technique that was all about food on the table and the simplicity of getting the food on the table. If you're looking for big water rods or lake rods, Tenkara is definitely not the ticket and there are better outfits. I'm always looking for that small-stream challenge, so its either getting a Tenkara or a 1- or 2-weight to give my 3-wt a break.

• Like 1

I just ordered one to try out. Never been fly fishing before so it will be trial and error, but hopefully lots of fun.

I'd never been fly fishing before until the first time I tried it. I was HOOKED (pun intended!)!! I now have 4 rods of various weights and lengths and have a list of at least 4 more that I "NEED"! Good luck and be prepared for another addiction!

• Like 1

Tenkara is great. But IMO more suited for smaller trout creeks where there is little room to back cast and "slingshotting" your fly is key.

Good luck!!

A site I frequent from time to time is www.tenkarabum.com

I have a tenkara rod and have taken it out a few times. I really like it for the light weight and simplicity, great as a backpack rod and it is perfect for the small trout creeks here in AZ.

The first success I had was on West Clear Creek, caught a few browns:

P1110612.jpg

P1110622.jpg
P1110631.jpg
P1110624.jpg
P1110626.jpg
  • Like 3

Congrats, but seeing someone kill a stream bread Brown trout makes me want to throw up.

Please do some research about Arizona Brown trout. Maybe then you will think twice before you keep a Brown.

Feel free to give me a call and I would be happy to share some info about Browns & fly fishing.

Adam

928 595 1554

Been living and fishing in AZ for over 4 decades, and this is the first I have heard of there being an issue eating a brown trout. If you have some info to pass along, I'll give it some consideration.

From the G&F site:

"Exotic from Europe. Introduced in Arizona in 1931." - so a non-native species.

"The meat has a pinkish or yellowish color and tastes good." - not a word about them being endangered or anything.

• Like 1

Keep one or two if you want dinner ... Do not listen to all these other people who make you out to be hurting the brown trout population .... While I may not take a limit of browns from a stream I sure would not worry about having one for dinner.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel about it. I'm all about facts and common sense. I have been fishing West Clear Creek for decades and have seen some changes. But the brown trout population is something that has not changed for the worse, at least by my observation. If anything it has improved since I first started fishing there in the 80's. I used to catch way more rainbows than browns, Now it is the opposite, last time I fished it last year I caught almost exclusively browns, only two tiny rainbows. Seems to me the rainbows need releasing.

Furthermore, I do not fish often, when I do it is only in the small creeks, and I usually release everything. That brown was the first trout I have eaten in years. I don't feel bad at all about having one for lunch! I have a feeling the bears eat way more brown trout than I do. :)

• Like 2