Sign in to follow this  
Critter

Cheesy Swedish Elk Meatball Bake - Gotta try it

I found this recipe online using beef/pork but I used Elk ground and it was awesome. must try it, especially if you're looking for something new to make with your game meat

It's a little work but not that bad at all. My pics of final product posted at the end. It was excellent.

Recipe

Cheesy Swedish Meatball Bake

You'll need...

1 pound ground beef (ELK)

1 pound ground pork (ELK)

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/4 cup grated onion

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

2 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

salt and pepper to taste

Gravy: 6 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 cups beef broth, 1/2 cup heavy cream and salt to taste

2 cups cooked egg noodles

½ cup Gruyere cheese, shredded

Chives to garnish

Let's get Cooking...

1.In a large bowl, combine ground meats, panko, eggs, melted butter, and seasonings. Roll mixture into balls.

2. In skillet on medium-high heat, cook meatballs in some olive oil, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a paper towel lined tray and set aside.

3. In the same skillet, melt butter and whisk in the flour, until lightly browned. Slowly pour in the beef broth, while whisking continuously. Keep whisking and cooking until slightly thickened. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.

4. Place meatballs in the gravy and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.

5.Cook egg noodles to al dente and drain. In a baking dish, mix together with meatballs and gravy. Sprinkle with desired amount of shredded Gruyere cheese. Bake at 375° F until slightly golden and bubbling. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.

post-6251-0-81146700-1451872375_thumb.jpg

post-6251-0-47502300-1451872949_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thats what i was wondering at the grocery store... but i found it easily in the cheese section. Its some fancy imported swiss cheese. You could use any cheese I'm sure.

NOW YOUR TALKING!!!! ONE OF THE WORLDS FINEST BAKING CHEESES AND IT DOESNT TASTE LIKE SWISS ( CRAP) CHEESE.

• Like 2