Sign in to follow this  
MAVinWA

Last day 2015 Buck

this non-resident gave it a good go, hunting solo with spot & stalk over the holidays.

Hunted/camped over 6 days, Man, it got cold overnight with temps in the teens but small wood stove and Buddy heater kept me warm in the Sawtooth tent.

Had several good stalks on larger bucks, 2 trophy quality Coues bucks in particular.

Didn't come together due to either high, swirly winds or does busting me.

Relatives mentioned to harvest a buck for the freezer if chance came about. Over the last 5 years, I usually won't take a coues buck unless trophy caliber. But I told them if it came down to the last day....

Last day 12/31 in the late afternoon, coming down from my final high basin morning hunt and took a break. Slipped off my X2 pack and leaned against a large rock. Enjoying the AZ scenery, surroundings and accepting in my mind that overall a good hunt season for me since September in my 4 western USA hunts. Quiet, little to no wind now but no deer action in the last couple hours. Thoughts occurred to me that 1-day due to age; I wouldn't be making these hard hill climbs & hikes in this beautiful country, sigh.

Guess I'd have one tag not filled for this year's hunt adventures.

Hearing rocks roll, I spot a doe heading downhill in a hurry about 150 yards away and she disappears over the ridgeline. 10 Minutes later, I heard grunts and looked uphill to my right and see this little buck around 120 yards away. He was nose to the ground, trying to follow the doe's zig-zagging trail.

Well with a $300 tag in my pocket and down to last hours, I'd give him a try. GPS-waypoint my position and left pack containing tripod, binocs & spot scope there as I head over to stalk.

I moved quickly over to the ridgeline and looked into the saddle. Doe was 400 yards downhill. Suddenly hear grunt again and see the lil' buck slightly above me 80 yards away, heading downhill with a purpose. I gave a grunt on my call and he stopped, looking my way. I was concealed by a large bush, one of those thorny, grab your clothes kind. Gosh I hate those thorny bushes...bad for the Sitka camo!

Buck took a couple steps downhill, behind some kind of cactus & a ocotillo. I grunted 2 soft grunts again and he turned, coming my way. Stopping, the buck briefly rubbed some bushes vigorously with his antlers.

Ranged a rock at 55 yards, as the buck moved down trail to it and stopped, quartered away, looking downhill. Drew back my Creed XS, floated the single pin behind his shoulder and released.

THWACK!

a good sound to hear as the buck high kicks and takes off downhill, around a large chaparral bush and out of my sight. Feeling it was a good shot, I went back and gathered up my pack-gear. Waited 40 minutes and moved down the trail to the bucks last location at the shot. Seeing good blood immediately ahead, knowing I had a good hit. Finding the arrow, complete pass thru, the Slick Trick broadhead doing its job on a double lung shot.

Followed the blood trail about 80 yards and the ravens are flying overhead, squawking. There he was, piled up in some brush down in the arroyo. My 2nd coues buck with a bow, albeit a small, young one. Arrow entered a touch high of center & 3 ribs back of its left shoulder, angled downward exiting thru the other side behind its right shoulder. Large entrance, exit holes and busted rib on each side were excellent performance by the 125gr Trick's blades.

Oh this Coues fever, excited for 2016 holiday season and back to spotting, stalking those bigger bucks again.

post-6264-0-09137400-1452223627_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice!! Great write up and thanks for sharing. Congrats on your buck! A coues with a bow is a great feat!

Big congrats! Good write up. I like the equipment detail.

Nice story and nice buck! Any Coues deer is a good deer!

Real nice write up and very cool ending. Congratulations to you and good luck next year. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome and great story. Congratulations man memories of a life time right there!

Ernesto Cibrian.