Great work on a beautiful mount. And hey Jim even though it might be one of your smaller bucks but it still is a great buck.

Thanks! I only had one evening to scout and one day to hunt that year and I was by myself along the border! I remember racing all the other hunters and hiking until I couldn't see any more hunters in front of me! I found this buck along with a smaller 3 point laying under a tree ( he's on the right ), made a long steep stalk, took some time to enjoy the moment and rolled him at over 300yrds! I was one excited dude on that hill that day......especially 'cause I thought he was an 85"+ 3x3! I didn't care he was only a fork, he's awesome! I had em' packed out and home the same day. Short but very sweet!

He had a huge body but I don't think he was an old deer at all. I would guess he was no more than 4 1/2 years old and would never be anything more than a really cool 2 pointer! I now have the start of my "Coues Wall" in my trophy room.....one of these days i'll have a wall like some of you guys have..( no pressure Bret! ) :P ;) Thanks, JIM>

Jimbosbestpicswtlive.jpg

man those guys look like there hangin out in the middle! there not very well hidden! at about what time did ya spot em?

man those guys look like there hangin out in the middle! there not very well hidden! at about what time did ya spot em?

It's actually really thick right there, especially outside of the pic frame. I don't remember the exact time, but I think I glassed em up around 9:00 and killed around 10:00. It took a long time to get across a canyon and up the opposing side across from them, plus I couldn't see over the brush with my shooting sticks so I had to crawl up into a Mesquite and use the branches for a rest....probably pretty funny if someone was watching me! I also always try to glass hard the surrounding area before you shoot, if you have time, to make sure there isn't a bigger buck nearby.....happens alot on those early hunts! Thanks, JIM>

Oh BTW......Casey, this would be an awesome spot for your Dec. tag...........It's unfortunate though, that I forgot where it was at! :lol: :P

CF,

Great Mount- Thanks for taking the time to show us the detail around the eyes. I learned something new and what to look for . Bret does quality work and it's a keeper for sure!

AzP&Y

The last time I talked to Brett he said he was getting real buisy with his work.

So I am now officially letting Brett know that he needs to hold me 6 spots for the upcoming hunts that my wife and

daughters have coming up. Oh yeah I have a couple tags as well so Brett could you turn all of these around in six months

time? :huh: :lol:

3-bulls

1 cow

2 carp

and maybe 1 COUES

Now all we have to do is ground check all of em. :huh: :unsure: :blink:

You might want to do a Reality Check too..... with your track record we might see you ground check 1 or 2..... :rolleyes: :unsure: :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

:P :P :P :lol: :P :P :P

Thanks guys! Just to make it clear, I am not trying to get anyone to send Bret business, he is SUPER busy and isn't lookin' for more work......yet! I just wanted to give him props for an awesome job! I know it's my smallest buck in recent years, but I freekin' admire the heck outta this deer! Awesome mount! JIM>

Bret..... looks like your going to have to start working Harder & Faster! ;) Jim's drumming up more clients for you! ;)

It's actually really thick right there, especially outside of the pic frame. I don't remember the exact time, but I think I glassed em up around 9:00 and killed around 10:00. It took a long time to get across a canyon and up the opposing side across from them, plus I couldn't see over the brush with my shooting sticks so I had to crawl up into a Mesquite and use the branches for a rest....probably pretty funny if someone was watching me! I also always try to glass hard the surrounding area before you shoot, if you have time, to make sure there isn't a bigger buck nearby.....happens alot on those early hunts! Thanks, JIM>

Oh BTW......Casey, this would be an awesome spot for your Dec. tag...........It's unfortunate though, that I forgot where it was at! :lol: :P

good thing that i know the area where its at then isnt it ;)

The last time I talked to Brett he said he was getting real buisy with his work.

So I am now officially letting Brett know that he needs to hold me 6 spots for the upcoming hunts that my wife and

daughters have coming up. Oh yeah I have a couple tags as well so Brett could you turn all of these around in six months

time? :huh: :lol:

3-bulls

1 cow

2 carp

and maybe 1 COUES

Now all we have to do is ground check all of em. :huh: :unsure: :blink:

You might want to do a Reality Check too..... with your track record we might see you ground check 1 or 2..... :rolleyes: :unsure: :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Bunghole :angry: :angry:

Jim is that the same buck that you did some modifications to on a pic you showed us last year when you were playing around with photos? Nice buck .............very unique. just one eye guard.

Jim is that the same buck that you did some modifications to on a pic you showed us last year when you were playing around with photos? Nice buck .............very unique. just one eye guard.

Yeah, I messed around with this photo to play a joke on some buddies ;)

Jimboscoues.jpg

Thanks guys! Just to make it clear, I am not trying to get anyone to send Bret business, he is SUPER busy and isn't lookin' for more work......yet! I just wanted to give him props for an awesome job! I know it's my smallest buck in recent years, but I freekin' admire the heck outta this deer! Awesome mount! JIM>

Bret..... looks like your going to have to start working Harder & Faster! ;) Jim's drumming up more clients for you! ;)

I'm working on it Gino :D ;)

Hi Bret,

I tried to send you a PM but your messager seems to be broke.

Where is your shop, or do you have a web page? I'm hopeful for the August hunt, and I'm looking for a new taxi. This mount looks great, especially they eyes. I'm really picky about the eyes after I got my last mount back and was dissapointed. How do you preserve the velvet on August bucks?

Thanks,

Mark

hey Bret,

i have a coues deer mount i need to get redone.the moths got to it before i could save it and its starting to crack around the eyes and nose.i have a cape from a couple of years ago that should work(i have the tags and antlers from both animals). if you want the work let me know. P.S.don't tell Casey but it came from a december tag in 36b :D thx wade

post-505-1185509006_thumb.jpg

I need this one redone as well. If any one can get me a cape this year from a deer they are not mounting i would buy it if it is in good shape.

post-171-1185514075.jpg