lancetkenyon

7mm Rem Mag Memorial Build

Factory mag box. Plenty long to seat the bullets out until they touch the lands and still fit on the mag box.

It can be difficult to decide what to do with a gun left to you by someone who has passed away. In this case I believe Lance has the best answer, It was the fathers in law's hunting rifle, overhaul it and turn it into a much improved hunting rifle. One that will actually be taken on hunts rather than sit at home. Factory or custom it is still the father in law's rifle and he will be remembered when it is carried. As for "don't touch it", "leave it as is" feeling some have expressed I believe I have a gun that falls into that class. It is a Model 67 Winchester that was my grandfathers. It was built before serial numbers were required and does not have one. I found a site with information about minor changes to the rifle during it's production and was able to date it to around 1936 - 1937. This is actually the first gun I ever fired when I was about 5 or 6 years old. It is a single shot and you also have to pull the striker back manually each time to fire. That seems to make you plan your shot more carefully than if you are using a semi-auto. Sometimes I will take it squirrel or rabbit hunting instead of my 10-22. It brings back old memories of my childhood and my grandfather. Although I may believe this one should be left "as is" Lance is probably thinking "Hey, you could put a nice scope on it".

post-15248-0-79837300-1492659619_thumb.jpg

post-15248-0-81833400-1492659631_thumb.jpg

post-15248-0-71796600-1492659657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It can be difficult to decide what to do with a gun left to you by someone who has passed away. In this case I believe Lance has the best answer, It was the fathers in law's hunting rifle, overhaul it and turn it into a much improved hunting rifle. One that will actually be taken on hunts rather than sit at home. Factory or custom it is still the father in law's rifle and he will be remembered when it is carried. As for "don't touch it", "leave it as is" feeling some have expressed I believe I have a gun that falls into that class. It is a Model 67 Winchester that was my grandfathers. It was built before serial numbers were required and does not have one. I found a site with information about minor changes to the rifle during it's production and was able to date it to around 1936 - 1937. This is actually the first gun I ever fired when I was about 5 or 6 years old. It is a single shot and you also have to pull the striker back manually each time to fire. That seems to make you plan your shot more carefully than if you are using a semi-auto. Sometimes I will take it squirrel or rabbit hunting instead of my 10-22. It brings back old memories of my childhood and my grandfather. Although I may believe this one should be left "as is" Lance is probably thinking "Hey, you could put a nice scope on it".

I have a 67A Boys Rifle. Like you said it brings back a lot of good memories.