Sign in to follow this  

ARIZONA ARCHERY DEER SEASON

Hey Manamal,

I drew a #22 Dec. tag, dang a bunch burnt to the ground.

I'd be real interested in what you think after you're hunt.

I'm just starting to scout. But alot of my old areas might be dead???

DH

I have a November 30A coues tag and will be spending Saturday scouting for that hunt. I will have my bow with me just in case I see a good buck while I'm scouting.

I'll be going scouting this evening, and see if I can locate the bucks. Good Luck hunting and let us know how your archery hunt goes this season.

Mike

Edited by 111

Couesnut,

Congratulations on drawing an awesome Tag!!! I've been putting in for unit 22 for four years and have yet to draw.

The fire did take out a ton of great country, but there are huntable populations of deer to be found. The area I hunt has always had more coues than mulies, however after the fire I have noticed an influx in the number mulies in the area. I n fact a couple of them are pretty nice!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well fellow hunters,

this will be my last post for about a week, I will be spending the whole week trying to arrow a bear and hopefully a 90+ buck. GOOD LUCK to you all!!!!

Hunt hard, carry plenty of water, and watch out for rattlers. I hope we have some good stories to tell.

Well, Friday morning I got my first bear ever and with my bow. I made a 17 yd double lung shot, the bear ran about 15 yds, starting to climb the canyon slope and tumbled down to his death. He was a younger boar about average size adult. I've got pictures of bigger bears from my trailcamera, I just couldn't pass on him since I had never harvested one before. Monday I will be off again in search of a 90+ inch coues buck. Good luck everyone.

Guest Ernesto C

Yuuppiii!!! Congrats.Treestandman on a succesfull hunt please keep us posted.

God bless.

I hope every one has a great archery hunt, I was sent to california last monday and I have to go back this week as well, then they will decide if I need to be there any longer to help out, I hope I get to get out at least one weekend for the early archery seasons. Keep posting on your hunts though, good luck to everyone.

Great job treestandman, you've got to post the story when you get the chance.

Ok, here goes my story.

I woke up at 1:50 am, showered using wildlife research soap, and headed out to my area. I arrived at my parking spot around 4:15 am. I got my miniture maglight out and slowly walked down the thick steep canyon covered w/ manzanita bushes and oak. As I walked down the canyon, I couldn't help but wonder if I was being stalked by a lion. I kept shining the light all around me and behind and stopping every few seconds. That lion experience had made me a little jumpy. When I finally got to me treestand it was about 5:00 am and still dark. The treestand is actually at the base of a tree on a very steep slope. I then nocked and arrow and then waited for light. As I sit in the treestand, the water tank is directly below me and slightly to my left. My rangefinder showed the water at 15 yds. I had practiced from the top of my parents roof and knew that if the shot was 25 yds and under I would put my 20 yd pin on it's heart which should take out both lungs. About 15 minutes after light I detected some movement off to my left. As I slowly turned my head to the left, I was thrilled to see a jet black bear walking up canyon bottom towards the water. He was about 60 yds away so I quietly hooked my release on to my bowstring. From my trail camera pictures I had pictures of several bears and the biggest one was jetblack so I was thinking this was him. When he got to about 20 yds away he was covered by a small bush so I pulled my bow back. He kept walking in completely unaware of me and stopped at about 17 yds giving me a perfect shot slightly quartering towards me. I rested my 20 yd pin low on his heart and released the arrow. The arrow hit him on the desired mark and passed through. He ran up the canyon bottom about 15 yds and then started up the steep canyon slope. He had gone about 5 yds up the slope and then rolled back down the slope. He gave out a short groan then then lay still. From where I sat in my treestand he lay about 20 yds away. He was not the big black I had pictures of but he was a decent sized boar that I am thrilled w/. I would like to thank T.A.M, who is a member of this site for showing me this water hole. Also, if any of you know of a good taxidermist that has decent prices and does good work I would be grateful for a telephone #. I feel that my trail camera played the main roll in my success.

Guest Ernesto C

Sweeet Treestandman swet you are the man,two thumbs way up for you.

I'll call my taxidermist and give you a price range ok,take care.

Good job treestandman!!!!!!!!!! You da man!