So i finally got into some eld-x 30cal 178gn bullets, i cant find any load data. I contacted Hornady and they have no load data for the 178gn, they only have load data for the 200gn bullets. I contacted Hodgdon because I will be using Varget powder, and they told me they have no load data, and to contact Hornady. So im kinda at loss, and dont know which direction to go. Should i start a powder around a 178gn A-MAX and work up from there?

post-5949-0-41769200-1453434716_thumb.jpeg

They should be near identical to amax load charts. Perfect place to start

• Like 1

First: Where did you find those?

Second: What cartridge are you trying to load?

They are available if you know when and where to look. :)

I'll be working on the ELD match bullets on my 7mm next. But the 30 cal is going in a DPMS AR-10, I've been really happy with 168 SMK. Just wanted to give these a shot and see how they come out.

I will tell you the bullet OAL of the eld is alot longer than the bullet OAL of a SMK, i would be willing to bet it will get into a compression load alot quicker than others. I dont have a side by side comparison, but ill get a pic over the weekend, and i would say they are an 1/8" longer.

They are available if you know when and where to look. :)

SMH...

I've got 300 in the mail.

Here is a little side by side comparison for fun

Thanks for posting this!

It appears the bearing surface is quite a bit longer on the ELDs. Can you confirm?

The bearing surface is a bit longer than the 175 TMK. It's almost identical to the 178 HPBT match except for the tip of course, which also makes it slightly longer overall than the 178 match. The ELDX is vastly different than the 178 AMAX. The nose profile is the same as the 200 ELDX.

Here is a little side by side comparison for fun

Thanks for posting this!

It appears the bearing surface is quite a bit longer on the ELDs. Can you confirm?

Yeah like 308nut stated, the bearing surface is much longer, the base to ogive length is different, and the ogive profile is different when compared to a 175 SMK or TMK. I was on 43gr Varget and was drilling my plate at 600 yard plate right out of the box. I'll try and post another side by side comparison when my 7mm ELD Match bullets show up later this week.

What's their length compared to a 208 Amax?

What is what's length compared to a 208 AMAX?

The 208 AMAXs and 208 ELDMs that I have are the exact same length though the bearing surface of the ELDM is slightly longer. No more than normal manufacturing tolerances between lots...

OR

Did you mean the length between the 178 ELDX versus the 208 AMAX?