Sign in to follow this  
jnobleinaz

Hey Morons, Unit 10 Boquillas is a sham!

UPDATE on the Boquillas 2016 Fee Fiasco sweeping the internet.

Jim deVos, Assistant Director of Wildlife Management at the

Arizona Game and Fish Department, provided the following information update regarding the Big Boquillas Hunt Program:

As the deadline approaches to apply for 2016 pronghorn and elk hunt permit-tags, the Arizona Game and Fish Department has been made aware of website information indicating a substantial increase in the permit fee structure for high-demand hunts on the Boquillas Ranch in Game Management Unit 10. This information is on a web domain apparently associated with the ranch's lessee.

The 750,000-acre ranch in northwest Arizona, which accounts for approximately 50 percent of the land in Unit 10, is owned by the Navajo Nation. Game and Fish continues negotiations to renew an access agreement with the Navajo Nation Department of Agriculture. Hunters might have noticed information on the lessee's website indicating that the permit fee rate has been raised to $500 on some hunts, according to: https://huntbigboranch.com/ranch-hunt-access-rates/

This recently posted increase is not consistent with the negotiations that the department has had with the Navajo Nation. The department and the Navajo Nation remain committed to establishing a lower permit fee structure, as well as reaching a long-term access agreement for the ranch. In December 2015, the Director of the Navajo Department of Agriculture made a presentation to the Arizona Game and Fish Commission indicating a strong commitment from the Navajo Nation to develop a collaborative approach to managing wildlife and hunter access on the Big Boquillas Ranch. In negotiations with the Navajo Nation, the Nation has agreed in principle that modest fee increases are important to preserve hunting and hunter access as part of the collaboration between the department and the Navajo Nation.

In fall 2013, the parties reached an agreement ensuring public access in exchange for Game and Fish enforcement of ranch rules designed to increase respect for the Navajo Nation’s private property on the ranch. The department originally supported a $60 annual Recreational Access Impact fee charged to all people entering the ranch to offset the impacts of recreation. The department’s support of this fee, and the enforcement of the ranch rules, shows its willingness to find new solutions.

• Like 3

Great info but besides saying its not consistent with negotiations with the Navajos what is the dept official position?

In other words......... What now?

• Like 2

With so many units with better elk herds and elk hunting and that aren't covered with checkerboard, why are so many folks so hung up on 10? I've hunted there a couple times with others. Even got some big Bulls. One in the 400 range. But I never saw anything there that'd make me want a tag there. Lark

Ssshhhhhhh.. What the he!! are you trying to do? Do you want them all applying for your backyard? Say it with me... Unit 10 is the best! Only place I'd put in for! Antelope too!!!

Great info but besides saying its not consistent with negotiations with the Navajos what is the dept official position?

In other words......... What now?

Agree. Certainly doesn't say to apply with confidence that AGFC and Navajo Nation will ensure one doesn't have to pay $500 to hunt there.